• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Penryn Release Date?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brolloks

Benching Senior on Siesta, Premium Member #8
When will the highly anticipated mainstream 45 nm Penryns hit the market in Jan and at what expected prices? (not Intel's MSRP as we all know that is not what the vendors will make us pay for it...)

Penryn = 45nm core 2 duo

? = 45nm quads

I'm waaaaaay behind on code names =D

Actually Penryn is the new 45nm architecture, Yorkfield is the name for the qauds and Wolfdale for the dual cores

Quoted from Anand's review

Penryn is the overall family name but there are two cores in particular that we'll be talking about today: Wolfdale and Yorkfield.

Wolfdale is a dual-core desktop Penryn core with a 6MB L2 cache shared between the two cores. Yorkfield is two Wolfdales on the same package, giving the quad-core CPU a total of 12MB of L2 cache.

Wolfdale and Yorkfield are architecturally identical, so performance per core is no different between the processors - Yorkfield simply has more cores.

When will the highly anticipated mainstream 45 nm Penryns hit the market in Jan and at what expected prices? (not Intel's MSRP as we all know that is not what the vendors will make us pay for it...)

The high-end extremes will go for +1000

The quad chips will be between 400-800, but I can only assume you'll find some for around 350.

The dualies will be from about 250-400 I would assume. I doubt you'll see any brand new 45nm duals for less than 250 bucks.

Actually Penryn is the name for the mobile chips.

Penryn just denotes a 45nm process architecture.

There are no Penryn mobile chips slated for release but will be released alongside the Xeon Penryns in the future under a Core 2 Duo Mobile name. The naming scheme is staying the same across the board.

According to the latest issue of CPU, Xeon Penryns are out now, and we're still waiting on the mobile Penryns. But I haven't found release dates for mobile Penryns.

why would someone get a quad right now, as a gamer I personally don't know of any apps that use 4 cores. not that that means much :p

Penryn is the first cut 45nm Intel Arch up from the last 65nm chips with more L2 plus some enhancements.

Nehalem (Neha) is the next generation to bring in IMC, Quick-Path and True Quads which is what we are waiting for next. There are group of Neha's coming that include GPU on the CPU carrier using quickpath which will be used in a whole array of systems including low cost systems and laptops to media centers. A lot will come from this architecture.

Most of the new lower priced quads are on hold for reasons that are now garbled by BS on the Web. Of those I've heard only the first two sound real.
1) Some extra steps in diffusion were used to produce the new 45nm process. These were only necessary for high performance and could be bypassed to reduce cost. IMO I think this would make sense for the economy chips as they are sold to run below 2.8-3Ghz. If only high end Wolfdales are released in Jan then this may be the case.

2) An errata in the FSB controller was found by an engineer with high FSBs. This may also have to do with (1) as changing the diffusion process may cause errata due to the change in composition.

3) AMD had not produced a competitive product (Lame excuse which I think is false). If you have something that good then you sell it anyway, just marked up higher.

Last edited:
why would someone get a quad right now, as a gamer I personally don't know of any apps that use 4 cores. not that that means much :p

Because not everybody is just a gamer. If you are into DC projects like Seti or Folding@Home, the quads are wonderful points producers and number crunchers. You can use fewer computers to produce the same amount of work done, lowering your running costs. I would also think that some rendering apps can use 4 cores now too.

What's different between those quads and the ones that are out today? Wouldn't any technical issues have also affected those too?

What's different between those quads and the ones that are out today? Wouldn't any technical issues have also affected those too?

lower power usage for the same clock, 45nm adds SSSE4 instruction set, which in encodeing can cut 10-15mins off times per same clock speed on 65nm.

no tech issues would have efftected those, since 65nm is a mature process,45nm is not,not all the kinks have been worked out. there is still more tweaking to 45nm intel can do for higher clocks and even further lower power usage.

Current quads are produced on a 65nm process.
Penryns are all 45nm, and are produced differently enough.

EDIT: Late, and with less info :( :p

I still can't decide to go dual or quad. Is crysis the only game utilizing quads? Would i have a bottleneck using the the 8800GTX and the E8400? ugh so many questions. wish they would GIVE US A DATE!!!!

Back