• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

youtube load times

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcillig

I got long load times for any video on youtube..like 2 mins for a small video but if I go on say ESPN,Yahoo,MSN videos load fast any one know why this may be ? I got vista Ultimate with Kaspersky 7.0.0.125d and it don't matter if i use Firefox or ie7 its still a long load time.

thanks
rob

Have you pinged youtube.com?

I range around 73ms average for that site.

If you do not know how to ping:

Start | Run | type: CMD hit enter | type: ping www.youtube.com then hit enter

If you average over 200ms it is your line. Anything under 100ms is fine. Though lower the better. This should show the latency of the traffic the packets are taking.

if I disable my AV then it loads fine so it must be a setting in Kaspersky, Ill ping it now and see how that looks.

You can whitelist domains in KaV if I remember correctly. I haven't used a virus scan in some time, that one in particular. So I am unsure how to do it. It can be done, since I did it for a couple of sites.

Your pings are normal. The packets are not being stalled in any strange fashion.

Here is the IP's to whitelist in KaV. The A records are the ones you want to whitelist.

Attachments

• Screenshot-Lookup - Network Tools.png
    Screenshot-Lookup - Network Tools.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 86
also, youtube can be kinda odd at their load times.

One video that could be 10 minutes long will load in about 30 -60 seconds. While a 4 minute video can take 10 minutes.

don't know why that happens. I just got used to it. And realize that youtube got too big, now all the popularity went to the owner's heads.

oh well, its either use youtube, or find one of those other vidoe sites, that has only 1% of the content.

i just wish youtube would upgrade their damn flash video players. Oi. I would love it if they suddenly switched to the Quicktime format!

oh well...i'm rambling on now...

It could be that there are a lot of people accessing Youtube & other popular sites, being the holidays and all-everyone and their grandmother are surfing the web.

Back