• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DEAL of the friggn' CENTURY on Dewar!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker

i NEED to THANK Gautam and eaglescouter for pointing me to this auction!!!!!

$28 for this AWESOME Dewar [LN2 (Liquid Nitrogen) tank]
i gave the guy $40 since this is > $1300 tank (new)

for some scale as to just how big this thing is (34" +/- tall)

pict0116cn9.jpg

this thing is almost BRAND NEW not 1 scratch on it !!!

pict0125xu0.jpg

looking straight DOWN on it

pict0124me2.jpg

i THINK this is a meter to "show" how much liquid is in the tank

pict0123ec3.jpg

pict0129jz9.jpg

VENT out the gas
(or reduce below the 22psi safety #1 valve, #2 is set to 35psi IIRC)
suppose i could get a hose and vent this outside for added safety

pict0122il0.jpg

LIQUID valve

add some pipework here to make a nice little "fountain" of LN2

pict0119qj9.jpg

my new "coffee" Thermos ;) ;)

pict0130hz9.jpg

that is most definitely the deal of the century...and can't be topped any time soon. congrats on the new dewar, looks damn nice :thup:

Damn nice, make sure its DOT approved or your looking at dropping another $300 or so.

No problem and good luck, now I would suggest finding a good way to control liquid flow. What I've used and have on hand (might be able to source parts again for you) is a braided pressure hose from the liquid output that then goes to a CPEV, or constant pressure expansion valve, you then meter from 0 psi up and basically can control the flow. Place the CPEV above your LN2 pot and run hose from dewar, tune it as you bench (its a knob you'd turn), and you have perfect flow without pouring problems ;)

Such regulations are likely to vary widely from state to state. Given that it was used in the same state that it is going to be filled in I would not expect any difficulties (especially if it is transported in the bed of a truck).

NoL, you ever tried to get LN2 filled up anywhere? Just curious. :p

First time I showed up at my supplier was with leaky dewar with no cork. They filled it up and duct taped a slab of cardboard on the top to make up for it. :D

Heh here in NJ they wouldnt fill my old dewar without DOT paperwork or the inlayed stamp on side of dewar. Maybe you guys have more relaxed people but they all seemed head up there *** sorta guys around here.

There a gas shop by me with the same kind of guys, I don't do business with them. For sure Rich needs to secure that thing what with those big shiny new wheels :D

ya i have a 15" Box Van @ work with tie-downs along the side so transportation is no problem.

thoughts on dispenser:

although it would be nice to have a low flow valve @ the end flex line to squirt LN2 right into the pot i see problems...

assuming you leave the main valve open on the tank and have a flex line with a valve @ the end taking the pressure from the tank, that means there would be liquid in the tube... as i see it, no matter how well i insulate, there is no way i could keep that liquid from boiling off into vapor between "pours" ...thus i would be blowing vapor when i first open the "end" valve... until the liquid pushes back through the tube. not sure how much "control" i would loose with a setup like that.

i guess i could try a non pressured tube and still use the main valve as the ON/OFF point i would just need to have the tank as close as the length of "tube" i would install. (also id need to have one hand on the tank valve and one directing the flow) i would, again, blow "vapor" till the liquid hits the end... and it would be flowing through a "warm" tube thus boiling off whats flowing through... :-/

i think ill just add some short piping, use the main valve as the shut-off and dispense into the Thermos.

ive been practicing "the pour" with water in the Thermos, i can hit a coffee mug from 3' up and only miss a few drops... think i can hit a Styrofoam cup funnel from 1" NO problem :beer:

EDIT:

"blowing vapor".... ummm vapor NOT: Vapor
you dirty minded little....(Gautam)
:santa:

Last edited:
Well with any withdrawal device your gonna blow of some nitro when it hits the warmer parts on the way out, no way around that. It even happens when pouring straight out of a dewar as the liquid hits the warmer upper parts inside the unit. To me it seems like a toss up as you spill some pouring from a full size into a smaller container anyway. The flex line would be the most well....flexible and could be coiled up inside the saftey ring. A straight tube would be something to bang into. Either way I don't think you can possibly go wrong in this situation now, try one way and change it if you don't like it ;)

direct Dewar to pot dispensing would be kinda :cool: though :D

i see your point on the pipe getting in the way though, especially during transport :(

not that i would solder the pipe on or anything so a few twists with a wrench and it would come off

No problem and good luck, now I would suggest finding a good way to control liquid flow. What I've used and have on hand (might be able to source parts again for you) is a braided pressure hose from the liquid output that then goes to a CPEV, or constant pressure expansion valve, you then meter from 0 psi up and basically can control the flow. Place the CPEV above your LN2 pot and run hose from dewar, tune it as you bench (its a knob you'd turn), and you have perfect flow without pouring problems ;)

think the flow i would want/need would keep the liquid, liquid long enough to dispense through a X' XX" flex line and a CPEV?

insulated as best as possible of course ;)

Last edited:
mmmm 4:20 ideas = )
(EST :p)

could anyone give me any estimates on how much LN2 is needed / used during a bench run...

as in ONE run of 06 or 03 or Pi 32M ?

1.1qt ........ 16oz ........ 7oz :confused:

ive got a silly idea that might be golden...

im thinking of how big a smaller, hand held container would need to be to supply up to a 3x pot bench run + some spare, accounting for boil off from container

edit: it dont matter, this "big" one i have now will do just fine... MUA-HAHA-hahah-aaaa

picture THIS filled with LN2 and a hole drilled through the top that you could cover with your thumb...

now, keep all the physics behind it and sub in the Thermos, a rubber (or cork) stopper with 1 thin tube/pipe stuck through it, down to the bottom of the Thermos and a hole in the stopper that you could seal with your thumb

the stopper would pop long B4 a dangerous pressure was built up... assuming both the thumb-hole and the dispensing tube (bent 135 degree @ the tip and insulated to the MAX) would get blocked up ...

"control" would all come down to the DIA of the tube and how fast pressure builds up inside the container

Last edited:
Eh good luck with that ;)
Bit of a pessimist but so far thats only ever made most of my stuff work the first time :)
Flexible line and CPEV is the way to go, and like anything you'll blow vapor till the line hits -150C or so (will only take a minute), then again your going to have to chill down your pot (takes quite a bit of ln2), chill down your thermos (quite a bit as well), so i think your in for some laughs when you realize how quickly LN2 dissapears. Beauty of a feeder setup is you can run multiple pots too ;)
Just another flex and CPEV and braze in a branch.

I don't venture to this area of the forms much but when I saw "DEAL of the frigging' CENTURY" I had to take a peek. YOU GUYS ARE SERIOUSLY SICK:eek:

Keep up the good work on the cutting edge of cooling. How about summiting some articles for front page review.

Back