Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Moving Dilemma

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 12-30-07, 02:06 AM Thread Starter   #1
SteveLord

Moving Dilemma

In March I will finally be moving out of New Jersey and back to Iowa. Got wife, 2 toddlers and a yorkie in tow.

Have 2 vehicles (both financed)

Have little furniture. 4 dressers, fridge, bed mainly.

Trip is going to take roughly 18-20 hours of drive time.

My issue that we have, is whats the cheapest/easiest way to get there. My wife would love to rent a small RV and go there in that. Sounds like fun and the kids would be more comfortable in that compared to being strapped in a minivan the whole way. Lookin at places that do 1 ways.

Other thing about that, is that there is still these 2 cars. A van and an SUV. I wouldn't mind not taking the van, since my father has one there. But since they are financed, I don't know what my options are. And don't know how much it costs to ship a vehicle about 1200 miles.

Is it the same to ship as it would be to pay for gas driving? Something I need to find some numbers on.

If anyone's done similar moves, please share it.

Last edited by SteveLord; 12-30-07 at 02:25 AM.
SteveLord is offline Heatware Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-07, 02:50 AM   #2
turd

10 Year Badge

I move a lot and will warn you to be vary cautious when contracting ANY services. There are lots of shady movers and companies that will rip you.
They will quote you one price and then after it is all loaded give you another, then demand more before they unload.
It's expensive to move and prices that seem too good to be true usually are.
So be careful!! Do the home(google) work.

One of many sites about how to avoid moving scams: http://www.movingscam.com/

If you want to ship your vehicle here is the place I recommend: http://www.dasautoshippers.com/

These guys are the real thing. They will give you an on-line quote, something most places will not do. Also, many auto shippers just sub-contract out. Many to these guys.

I shipped a big SUV with them in July from FL to AZ for $900. Was it cheaper then gas-not really, but add in the hotel, meals, etc. and it looks good.

Note: You don't need the additional insurance as your carrier will cover.

RV, sounds nice but look at the gas mileage something like 6 miles per, you will be spending $7 to get out of the neighborhood. The best IMHO is a Uhaul and a hotel stay. Ship one car or have the wife follow with it.

Note: You gotta plan ahead for the Uhaul rental as they tend to book up and check ahead for a hotel that takes pets.

As far as the vehicle options-van, being financed? You mean you want to return it, or sell it or what?

Last edited by turd; 12-30-07 at 03:02 AM.
turd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-07, 03:22 AM   #3
FudgeNuggets

We're going from Hamilton ON to Knoxville TN and my dad will be driving an 18 wheeler (he's maintained his CDLs even after retiring) while my wife and I drive our cars. If we didn't have sooooo much stuff, we'd rent a big U-haul with a car dolly and I'd drive the big one with my Jag in tow while my wife would drive her van.
FudgeNuggets is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 12-30-07, 04:58 AM   #4
Turtle Shell

Thank you turd for the links my brother is moving from hear (ca) to milwaukee and we were trying to figure the same thing out think this might be it

Old 12-30-07, 11:49 AM   #5
turd

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Shell View Post
Thank you turd for the links my brother is moving from hear (ca) to milwaukee and we were trying to figure the same thing out think this might be it
NP, also on the UHaul you can sometimes save hundreds by driving a short distance to the next state or county to pick up the trailer, if you have the option of one close by. So call around has Uhaul as some weird price setting scheme.

Same thing with the auto shippers, you can save a good chunk by dropping it off and picking it up from a yard instead of door to door service. Good luck on your move.

Again I gotta stress the importance of making advance reservations for the UHaul as in some places they sell right out at the end of the month.

Edit: Make sure and read this as well: http://www.movingscam.com/findmover.shtml

Last edited by turd; 12-30-07 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-30-07, 12:02 PM   #6
PhysX

yeah i agree, try not to "contract" any services... its a though one.

ASUS P8P67 DLX | Core i7 2600k @ 5200Mh - CM Hyper 212+ | 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance 1600| 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB CrossFireX | 2 X WD Black 500GB HW-Raid 0 - 2 X WD GREEN 1.5TB (EARS) HW-RAID 1 | Corsair AX 1200
PhysX is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-14-08, 03:38 PM Thread Starter   #7
SteveLord

Is there a cheaper method than door to door? I keep seeing this in my quotes...which are anywhere from $670-$895.............

Penske will give me a 16' truck and car carrier for $1100. Which is bout $800 less than UHaul. And they have much newer trucks. The last time I used UHaul, they gave me a small clunky and dirty Ford.

Last edited by SteveLord; 01-14-08 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-14-08, 04:05 PM   #8
djrussell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLord View Post
....Penske will give me a 16'' truck and car carrier for $1100. ....
good luck fitting anything in a 16" truck.

i moved florida -> washington a couple years ago for a job. most everything was covered by the company. for what it's worth, they shipped my car door to door on a car carrier and did a fine job. the guy was pretty nice too.

seagate 'cudas 80gb + 500gb
rosewill stallion 500w
raidmax sagitta case
powercolor HD3870 PCS
djrussell is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-14-08, 08:17 PM Thread Starter   #9
SteveLord

Is that something I could inquire about with a possible employer? Assisting with relocation? The thing with a lot of IT jobs from all the calls I get...is the position needs to be filled within like 2 weeks tops.

Old 01-15-08, 07:49 AM   #10
FudgeNuggets

geez, that is awful expensive for a truck.... My dad is bringing up a Mayflower 18 wheeler for under $2K
FudgeNuggets is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-08, 12:25 PM Thread Starter   #11
SteveLord

This is for 5 days, unlimited mileage and a newer truck. UHaul wanted $1500 for the truck alone and then over $200 for the carrier. For a trip that's going to be roughly 1100 miles.

Not a diesal powered monster that I couldn't drive even if I had the proper license.
Old 01-15-08, 12:48 PM   #12
djrussell

Quote:
Is that something I could inquire about with a possible employer? Assisting with relocation? The thing with a lot of IT jobs from all the calls I get...is the position needs to be filled within like 2 weeks tops.
definitely. ask if relocation is a benefit before you apply. you'd probably have to make some kind of commitment to the company though. i think mine was like 1 year. a condition of me accepting the job is that they would relocate me. they covered moving all our possesions, transporting my car, airfare, a hotel for 2 weeks, a rental car for two weeks, $68/day per diem for my wife and me, plus $1000 "intangible cost" to cover things like cutting off utility contracts and such.

seagate 'cudas 80gb + 500gb
rosewill stallion 500w
raidmax sagitta case
powercolor HD3870 PCS
djrussell is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-08, 05:00 PM   #13
Jab-tech
The Jab-Tech Guy

When I moved I used a penske truck, it was right after katrina so moving trucks were $$$.

To save money join AAA.. I got a 20% discount off a penske truck which took about $500 off the cost (AAA cost about $80?). Also if you book the truck online they take another 10% off the cost.

You should be able to drive Penske's largest truck on a normal NJ car licence. I think the weight limit is around 18,000lbs but the truck can handle 25,500ish. The largest truck was the only diesel Penske had at the time and it got around 12mpg which really wasn't bad considering I had it loaded to the gills.

Jab-tech is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-08, 06:37 PM   #14
Fr3@k3r

Location: (Lat 47 8' 22.1316")(Long -122 29' 52.9152") (Lakewood Wa)

Quote:
It might be, remember if you can provide proof to the IRS your moving because of your job you can be reimbursed all costs.

(HEATWARE)
Fr3@k3r is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-08, 10:00 PM   #15
Jab-tech
The Jab-Tech Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3@k3r View Post
It might be, remember if you can provide proof to the IRS your moving because of your job you can be reimbursed all costs.
They *might* let you take it as a tax deduction but the IRS will not be reimbursing you.

I assume you already have the job and therefore its kinda late to start negotiating relocation fee's.

Edit
I asked the MRS and she says if you are relocating for a new job you can write off the expenses on your taxes but there are stipulations such as you have to stay at the job for a certain amount of time, the write off cannot exceed a % of your income (not sure on the % but its so people who are moving without a job can't claim the deduction if they get a job at burger king)

Also if the company pays for your relocation you have to recognize that money as income and therefore its taxable, they should put it on your W2.

Last edited by Jab-tech; 01-15-08 at 11:43 PM.
Jab-tech is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-15-08, 10:15 PM   #16
rainless
Old Member

When in March? If it's towards the middle/end of march I'd be more than happy to drive one of the vehicles back for you... for a VERY small fee.

Asus P5Q Pro 2002m @ 515x9 .63x 1.52
OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB DDR2 5-4-4-18 @ 2.18v w/OCZ XTC Ram Cooler
Corsair 750TX PSU
Sparkle 260 GTX (65nm, 216) 696c 1512s 999mem
BLOCK: Swiftech Apogee GTZ RAD: BIXII REZ: MCRES-Micro rev2 PUMP: Pondmaster 750 FAN: 2 HS Yates CONTROLLER: Modified Evercool WC-202
rainless is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-16-08, 09:44 AM Thread Starter   #17
SteveLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainless View Post
When in March? If it's towards the middle/end of march I'd be more than happy to drive one of the vehicles back for you... for a VERY small fee.
Within the first week of March...and why would I want a vehicle to come back here?

If you want to buy one of them though, lets talk.

Old 01-17-08, 09:50 PM   #18
turd

10 Year Badge

[QUOTE=SteveLord;5432626]Is there a cheaper method than door to door? I keep seeing this in my quotes...which are anywhere from $670-$895.............

Yea, for shipping a car? Just drop off and pick up to a holding yard, get like ten days leeway too. Should be an option somewhere on the quote page.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.