• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Concatenation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jhawkmike

I have a couple of questions about drive spanning. Let's say we are spanning 4 500GB drives together to create a 2 terabyte volume:

1) How is the data distributed? Does it get spread across the drives somewhat evenly, or does drive 2 not get used until drive 1 is full? If it's the latter, then does that make defragmentation difficult? I remember once trying to defrag a drive that was almost full, and I couldn't do it.

2) If one of the drives fails, do you lose all the data, or just the data on the drive that failed? If it's the latter, how would you go about figuring out which files you lost?

I appreciate the help.

I have a couple of questions about drive spanning. Let's say we are spanning 4 500GB drives together to create a 2 terabyte volume:

1) How is the data distributed? Does it get spread across the drives somewhat evenly, or does drive 2 not get used until drive 1 is full? If it's the latter, then does that make defragmentation difficult? I remember once trying to defrag a drive that was almost full, and I couldn't do it.

2) If one of the drives fails, do you lose all the data, or just the data on the drive that failed? If it's the latter, how would you go about figuring out which files you lost?

I appreciate the help.
My post is assuming you are talking about "RAID0".

1) It will be distributed in "stripes". You can specify that size, but basically you would be evenly distributing the information across the drives. If you have a 128k stripe size and a 512k file (with 4 drives) there would be 4 pieces of the program (128k), 1 on each drive.

2) If it is RAID0, one drive dies, you lose EVERYTHING, no way to recover it.

Basically, if you don't need speed, don't do RAID0. If you need reliability, do RAID5 or RAID0 or RAID0+1 ;)

:welcome: to the forums!!

Thanks for the response thideras, but I'm not talking about RAID0. I'm asking about spanning, not striping.

Thanks for the response thideras, but I'm not talking about RAID0. I'm asking about spanning, not striping.
From what I'm seeing spanning = RAID0. Do you mean "spanning" as Windows seeing the set of drives as "1 drive"...or am I missing what you mean?

Spanning: If a user wishes to obtain all the capacity of the drives in an array, he may also choose to "span" (merge) the drives. In this configuration disks storage space will be placed sequential where the operating system sees just one huge disk. Unfortunately, there are no other benefits except capacity with the spanning solution.

Found here:

http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_raid.php

i think he is talking more about JBOD which essientally makes the OS see one drive comprised of the combined storage set. no raid at all. im not entirely sure how it fills up but it would probably start with the first disk specified.

i think he is talking more about JBOD which essientally makes the OS see one drive comprised of the combined storage set. no raid at all. im not entirely sure how it fills up but it would probably start with the first disk specified.
Ah, ok. If it is that, no idea here. Never even knew it existed :shrug:

Back