• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SAS Advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hardass

First and most important, I am a total rookie at this. Only tried setting up raid once. Have no idea what made me buy this hardware.:eek:
Now that said. I have the following:

LSI 3443E-R SAS PCI Express RAID card. Comes with two internal breakout cables (one to 4 SATA one to 4 SAS). 4 port internal 4 port external.

2x36Gb Fujitsu MAX3036 15k SAS drives.
2x73Gb Fujitsu MAX3073 15k SAS drives.

The card is on its way back to supplier for replacement so have some time to research. What I want to do:
I would like to set up all 4 Hdds in one rig. 2x running XP Pro and 2x running Vista 64. The card does not come with current drivers so I also need help with what exact drivers and such I need to download. dominick32 has suggested running 2x in Raid0 and 2x in Raid1 for data safety. I have a choice of mobo,s for this setup. P5K Deluxe, evga 680i, Asus Striker Extreme. I want to run SLI setup using a QX6700. Do not know if all this info is needed but there it is. So if any of you SAS gurus can help me with what drivers to get, along with anything else I will need I sure do appreciate the help. I also need to know if what I want to do is possible? If not any suggestions would also be appreciated. I just want the best performance out of this setup possible. I do not do any video editing or such, just copy some of my own movies to hdd and such things.
Thanks in advance.

Well the setup is pretty easy. Once the computer posts the card's BIOS will give you an option to setup the raid array in the same way that the motherboard BIOS will if there's a RAID controller on board. Setup varies from vendor to vendor but it's all pretty close to being the same. Check LSI's -or the maker of your card's- website.

Same goes for drivers, LSI should have current ones for download along with a few helpful utilities.

Back