• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 Load Temps Too Hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liquidxnitez

Long time lurker, first time member.

New computer build as of 22 December 2007

Asus P5E X38
Intel Q6600 G0; 1.3V VID; Stock Intel heatsink; AS5
Transcend 2GB DDR2 1066
Asus ATI HD3870
Lian Li PC-V2000 PlusII Case

I think my cpu temps are way too hot at stock speeds. Initially I ran Asus Probe 2 to check temps when I first built the computer. Asus reported high temperatures around ~40-50C Idle and upwards of ~70-80C with BOINC running. I then got CoreTemp and that reported 40-50C Idle and 79-85C with BOINC running. Room temps roughly 10C.

This past weekend, I reseated the CPU and Heatsink twice. Idle temps are better. Load temps are worse? Asus reports ~30C idle and ~70C with BOINC running. Core Temp reports 40-45C idle and 85-100C with BOINC running. Room temps roughly 10C.

I reseated the the heatink because I tried to install a Thermaltake Tower112 and then a Tuniq Tower but both brackets do not clear the stock heatsinks running near the CPU area. I have to machine off the nub on the H brackets to have it fit.

Anyhow, are my load temps with CoreTemp ok? These are temps at stock 2.4GHz speeds.

Any help is appreciated.

No, those load temps are definitely not OK for stock speeds. It shouldn't be going over 65c under load, and that's pretty warm. The mounting system on Intel stock coolers is a...well, it's a dirty word. To mount it properly, you should do so while the board is outside the case. When mounting, put back pressure around the hole you're putting the pin in. You also get the added benefit of seeing whether the pins are pushed through correctly.

Just looked at your board...those heatsinks are insane. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon MIGHT fit around them if you're still interested in an aftermarket HSF. To see a pic of it mounted, click on "my little system" in my sig.

are you certain that the heat sink is securely fastened. If one tab is not mounted securely it would account for your temps - they can look secure and not be. 40-50 idle is way too high with a 10c ambient.
Do what you have to do to get the Tuniq tower mounted - that stock heatsink is just not adequate with the Q6600 under the best of circumstances.

I'd have to agree mounting issue. Stock heat sink or aftermarket will perform poorly if not installed correctly. Get that HS on there the right way.

--pak

Ok guys. I'm going to reseat the heatsink once again. Thanks!

I agree that the Intel heatsink is sh*t. But I have to use it until I get the nubs cut off of the H brackets. I tried using a dremel with a saw blade but was going to take too long. I'm going to visit my machine shop and have them do it for me.

Update - Reseated it. Temps are now much much better. CoreTemp load temps are 49-52C. Idle temps are 32-35C.

Asus Probe load temp is 38C. Idle temps are 22C.

I didn't realize I had to put so much force on the fasteners to get it on correctly! :eek:

Thanks again!

I would trust CoreTemp over Asus Probe. Asus Probe looks to be having the same 15C issue that Speedfan has on Quads.

Speedfan 4.34beta37 fixes that issue (well, all the betas did, but that's the latest). Not sure about the M0 issue though. CoreTemp just released a new version that reads them correctly.

Back