• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wanna see what yall think about this casual OC...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

hey everyone,
been bored today, so messing around with clock speeds and what not(yeah i know... im not overclocking the 'proper' way, but if i blow this $50 CPU, ill shed many tears while put my old .90nm 3800+ back in. Currently running 2 instances of prime95 on the large FFT one, just to see how it holds up heat wise(and have been for an hour plus as i make minor adjustments).

Basically, heres my setup, and where ive stumbled to thus far(id say pushed but i doubt im really making any part scream too much...)

X2 4000+ Brisbane- 2.8 ghz(267 bus * 10.5 @ 1.25 volts[set to 1.2125 on mb])
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe - HTT x4 (1068 mhz), mem divider set to 667
OCZ 2x1gig sticks with SLI profiles, factory set at 4-4-4-15-1T @ 400.5mhz
eVGA 7900GT KO - factory settings/factory overclock

Now, what has shocked me about this processor... the temps/voltages. My old .90nm would be dang near on fire at these speeds (and i really wasnt nice and comfy at those temps...) but this thing is running under volts, and lower than my old .90 did AT STOCK SPEEDS. Deep down inside me, i know this thing has more room to fly... but i am 'content' right now... maybe when i have time to do a proper OC, ill really crank this bad boy up, but right now, i got a free 700mhz, got my ram back up to DDR800(stupid brisbane dividers...) AND put less volts on the CPU, all without even losing some of my HTT bandwidth(yeah i know... this isnt THAT important with a single GFX card... but either way... i like things running at a minimum of their rated specs)

oh, btw, heat, as reported by Asus probe software is 46-48 deg. C under full load, and CPUID is saying my cores are running 27C on one, and 24C on the other(which isnt right... cause when at idle, my cores are cooler than my room...) idle is right around 33C(recently turned off the prime95s for an idle reading...

just wondering what yall think... still contemplating either a) ripping the IHS off my old X2 3800+(Winsor core), or lapping my newer 4000+ Brisbane...

Last edited:
lol at ripping the IHS off

have you tried coretemp? to see what the 2 different temps are for the cores?

BTW it's a whole lot easier to lose a 45-55$ cpu then it is a 200-500$ one :D

lol at ripping the IHS off

have you tried coretemp? to see what the 2 different temps are for the cores?

core temp says the same thing for this brisbane... dont think im getting real reading off either, cause i dont think AMD included a mini-AC unit on the brisbanes :D

as for ripping the IHS off, i dont NEED the processor, soooo itd be fun to do, but then again, i can always get me a second box, buy an el'cheepo AMD AM2 mobo with onboard video, and make my wife a "new" computer... so i dont know what I'm gonna do with it right now...

The only programs that will give a reasonable temp reading with my Bribane are SiSandra, PC Wizard and The Biostar program that came with my motherboard.Speed fan also works if you can figure out which temps are which.CoreTemp and the CPUID program don't work with my Brisbane.

Also just incase no one told you

WELCOME TO OUR FORUMS and team :D

Hey, you should tell me what that ram is running at i.e. DDR2 400? or 533? because i have that same CPU and i got to 2.8Ghz then i set it to 2.2Ghz because im not that great at memory.

my ram is set to the "667" divider or CPU/7. pegs it out nicely at factory speeds, as i havent had much luck keeping these timings(particularly the 1T command rate) even a few mhz about factory... but my latency according to Everest home ed. just on the sunny side of 45ns, which came up a few ticks behind some really nice DDR-400 they had on the charts :D (i think it was CAS 2 ram)...

before when i was OCing this board, i was using a higher Vcore cause the default was 1.35V. well, i decided to see what my processor capped out, cause my guess-OC method wasnt working too well, and I wanted to do it the proper way... well, once i hit 260 with only a 4x HTT multi, I said what the hell... ill bring the ram up to 400mhz total(had it at the DDR2-400 divider) and everything just magicly worked and worked wonderful.

This weekend ill do it right.... cap out my HT, CPU, and RAM individually, then find a happy median hopefully somewhere up in the 3ghz range after all, I've been folding for a few hours now, and I think my AS5 is really settling in now... temps under 100% load have fallen from 48C to 44C! :O

I know I can hit 3ghz in this baby, and now, I'm itching to try!

PS- oh, if you have a winsor core, i got a great link for you http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?t=109155 nice chart with all the AM2 WINSOR core multi's and dividers on it... just wish i could find something like that for a Brisbane(those crazy .5 multipliers throw everything around wierd...)

i have that same brisbane and about the memory, i cant adjust voltages yet this mobo is new 690V chipset. I can set everything else though timing and stuff im just confused on it....

i have it running at 6-6-6-18 with 2T rate lol...

i had it running at 4-5-5-18 with 1T rate but then i put it to DDR667 and it didnt post...

my guess is cause you cant up the volts, and your memory was too tight... its spec'd for 5-5-5-15, and when the dont post the command rate, its normally 2T

take a look at the OCZ SLI ram for around that same price.. nice and tight timings, if not an option, lossen em up for 5-5-5-15 and youll probably get better results....

take a look at the OCZ SLI ram

PC2-8500 SLI-Ready Edition
5.0-5-5-15 @ 2.3V
Micron D9GMH (B6-3)

PC2-7200 EL Platinum SLI-Ready Edition
4.0-4-3-15 @ 2.1V
Micron D9GMH (B6-3)

yea I would guess either set should be nice :D

small update... seems my computer was right on the brink with that voltage... wokeup this morning, to the "windows has recovered from a serious error" after leaving my computer to fold all night... so before i goto work, im upping the Vcore to a hair under 1.3v(reading off CPU-Z and MB software; its really set at 1.2625v) till i get off work, so i can ensure my folds are stable... still plan on ramping this sucker up... im thinking i can hit 3ghz overclocking the 'proper' way :D

Back