• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

building a comp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elluzion

where can i get info on putting together my computer

(CONNECTING THE CABLES)

Last edited:
i once saw an actual assembly guide online, but i haven't a clue where :(

what i've always done is follow my mobo manual as the main step-by-step guide. then refer to the other specific manuals if you have detailed questions that aren't in the mobo guide. i put ram, cpu, hs on mobo before i put it in the case. psu is first thing i put in the case. then i mount HDDs & optical drives. then i mount the mobo in the case and connect power and sata cables. some cases are pretty crammed.

i have no clue if this is what you're looking for, and if you already knew all this, then hey, i just practiced typing! :beer:

Here are some links I used.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/12/14/how-to-build-a-pc-part-3/

And browse through here.
http://www.extremetech.com/category2/0,1695,644478,00.asp
We have almost the same board so I can help if you have a problem.
Here is something I found after building I wish I had when I first booted up.

System memory multiplier:

2.50 = 4/5
3.00 = 2/3
2.00 = 1/1
2.40 = 5/6
3.20 = 5/8
3.33 = 3/5
4+ = 1/2

Remember to access advanced features in MIT section, hit ctrl + f1.
I would set the multiplier to 2.00 to start with.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Basically, Get case, Insert PSU screw in, Put motherboard on antistatic surface, insert CPU, apply dab of thermal paste, install cooler, insert into case then screw in, insert GFX card/s,insert HDs, attach supplied sata cables to the motherboard then to the HD also insert the power cables, insert 24 pin then 4/8 pin connector, then insert ram, set up fans, front = intake, back = exhaust, boot, install windows, update bios, etc,

^thanks. so i shouldn't put my gfx card and ram and all that on my mobo. just the cpu first then put in the mobo?

also... i am geting watercooling in about 2 months. is it worth it to have the supplied heatsink for the Quad on the processor? or should i just keep it off for the time being. I would be running at stock speeds.

^aight.

Question. Is it ok to assemble everything except for the CD rom and Video card. Reason: it comes in 2 days and i have everything else .

Unless the motherboard has onboard video, and you find a way to install an OS without a CD, then you can't use the computer, but there's no reason you can't assemble it ahead of time.

Becuase I use big air coolers I usually put the cpu in and install the cooler, then the ram.
Then I mount the motherboard. The rest is irrelevant as far as order of install is concerned.

You have 24 pin atx plug for mobo and most likley a seperate 8 pin also, sometimes its a 4.

Some boards have a floppy type connector but most now have a 4 pin molex type connector on the board for additional power.

aight. I will do Power supply, then assemble the cpu/heatsink on the motherboard, then put the ram on the motherboard. Then screw the mobo into the plate, then connect all i can.

Ok i figured mostly everything out on my own :D it was pretty easy actually. Anyways everything is hooked up except the VIDEO CARD and the CD/DVD Drive, but i have a sata and sata power cable ready for it. I can't wait to see if it boots :D

I mounted the PSU first, then DVD-RW, Then HDD, then mounted the mobo, then CPU/HSF, then RAM, and axillary PCI cards (GPU, WIFI, SOUNDCARD). The motherboard and PSU manual will help with all the which wire goes where questions, but it seems that you got that figured out. Post pictures when you have it running!!! :D

Yes pictures will be up once running!!!!

hey does anyone know if i can get an extension ca ble for the atx main mobo connector that comes from the psu.; since i have the psu on the bottom it is kind of a tight stretch...

I didnt have a problem with my 520HX in the antec 900 (a smaller case by far) I dont think it should be a problem for you. Also, with that case, can't you put the PSU up top instead?

you can power it up without the video card or cd drive. you won't have a display though and it will probably freak out with beep codes from no video though. if you really want to give it some power though, go for it.

im not putting it on top because i am putting watercooling in the top part of my case....

i could turn it on but what would be the point? i would just have to shut it down. It would be nice to see if it was working though..

QUESTION: when i first turn on my pc, should i put the xp cd in first thing and load the OS?

Last edited:
I didnt... With my mobo, support for 1333 FSB didn't come out of the box, so the first thing I had to do was flash the BIOS. Scariest thing ever! But I dont see a problem with doing Windows first thing.

Back