• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comp Is Not Booting Up(Read Help SOS!!!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

Hi,

Unfortunatly on Xmas, Santa brang my xmas present worth of bad luck!

I just had someone send me SP3 then I installed it. The thing prompted me to reboot I did it. I got into Windows 10mins later I found that WinAmp and other things were acting slow, since my music sounded like it was playing in slow motion and my web browser went on and off(responded didn't respond.)

I rebooted I went into the bios tried turning my Vcore to 1.65v again it rebooted and then I could not boot again. I possibly don't know what is going on and posting from my dad's K6-2.

I'm stumped I tried reinstalling the chip, taking out the cmos battery and then placing it back(even tried the jumpers too), unpluged every device(including ide cables from the boards) and many more also when I looked at my ethernet cards they had light so power has to be getting to the board and my cd rom would eject and stuff.

I even tried removing all the power plugs from my HDD's and CD and CDRW no luck.

I need replies by tonight or tomorrow I'm bringing it to the shop and its freaking expensive and I'm very P.O'ed this is not a way to start the new year.

Peace
-TSU

Not sure... try another chip, reset the cmos. manually set the multiplier and bus speed to something you know would be supported with that board. Try 1.70 volts if the heatsink if adequate. Once changed, save and exit. Power off and swap the SP3 back in.

That's the first thing I'd try... still thinking about this...

Sample would assume this is unlocked, right?

Pinky said:
Not sure... try another chip, reset the cmos. manually set the multiplier and bus speed to something you know would be supported with that board. Try 1.70 volts if the heatsink if adequate. Once changed, save and exit. Power off and swap the SP3 back in.

That's the first thing I'd try... still thinking about this...

Sample would assume this is unlocked, right?

OK Lemme rephrase my comp problem.

The CPU is not booting at all from a cold boot, so basically its staying at a black screen.

I wonder if its my CPU.

tsunami said:

OK Lemme rephrase my comp problem.

The CPU is not booting at all from a cold boot, so basically its staying at a black screen.

I wonder if its my CPU.

I realize that.

Try my suggestion using your old CPU to get into the bios... etc

Now if you're unable to get the old celeron to work, that's another problem...

I sent away my P3 to my trader already, but I cleared the bios already removing the battery for 10mins with the PSU off and then re-inserting it since the battery-clear trick always works for me.

I'm thinking this will lead me to the store tomorrow and I'm not happy since they charge 32.50 based on hour an a half service and their service is within 3 hours so the outcome will cost me dang.

I'm a little thick :rolleyes:, but does that mean you've sent the P3 back and are trying to get the celeron running again?

IF THAT'S THE CASE...

The only thing that could cause those results that are not the cpu:

1 -- Video card loose/dead. try wiggling, pushing it in further...

2 -- Motherboard dead.

3 -- Powersupply dead, in which case there'd probably be no fan rotation in the unit... if fans are turning on, even if it's just the power supply fan, then it 80% likely ok.

Oh, and I need to say that I'm feeling for you brother... I've had this happen on several occassions to me, so I know how you're feeling right now... it's probably something simple...

Ya I know not the feeling that should be happening around the holidays.

What I meant with the P3 that unfortunatly I traded the P3 for the Celeron and obviously I followed the trade and mailed out the P3 Friday.

It couldn't be the video card since the last time my vid card broke it would gimme like some kind of beeps.

The fans are rotating and the ethernet show some light so the PSU should be fine.

I'm not sure about the mobo but I hope not.

If its the cpu then bah.

This is what I thought that what it would come down to the motherboard or the cpu.

Although I did have a good backup plan for Xmas I got 90 dollars and my bro is loaded with cash so I'm guessing he'll buy me a new stuff unless its the chip which I can buy a Celeron 850 with 15 dollars from my dad.

THE QUESTIONS IS.

IF I do get a new motherboard I have a small KTX(at least that's what the box says) will it fit? It has all the design that the modern mobo's have with the usb ports sticking out and stuff.

Although I think in this case it is a "mid tower" back 2 years ago.

-Peace

If the motherboard was working prior to putting that chip in, then it's unlikely the motherboard is the cause...

Without a second cpu to check it's hard to say.

Video cards don't always give a beep signal, though sometimes they will... I've had instances of no beep codes, etc, from video cards with my current setup...

Just put a PCI video card(ATI Mach 64) and pulled out the AGP one no luck.

Defintely the mobo or the cpu now I know it.

tsunami said:
I think I got my $$$ on the CPU.

The only possibility is that the board overloaded the CPU and fried it (the symptoms you described before it's demise were that of overheating).

I was hoping for you that this wasn't the case but I'm confident in saying it's definitely pointing in that direction :(.

I'm plum out of ideas and I know you know a few things about PCs ;) so your call's probably in line...

Yea no problem.

But I do know that I was going to upgrade anyways and the Celeron II 900 is looking at my way ready to jump in my system or something. It wasn't such a big deal since it was nothing really expensive if it was jee.

The only I was P.Oed about is dishing out my money right away and going computer-less and having to switch the cable modem around and travelling the cpu around and stuff and that really tires out my dad since hes in his 50's and his back gets really weak sometimes so I'm concerned too bad I can't drive.

Thanks Pinky for your help I'll give them the word to test the stuff focusing on the motherboard and the cpu and maybe the psu since they may go on for hours not knowing the problem.

Peace

deez said:
are you sure its not the slotket?

Well I'm going to bring it to the shop tomorrow and I'm going to tell them that I believe something with the CPU, motherboard, or the PSU is wrong and they'll figure it from there in a short time.

deez said:
are you sure its not the slotket?

By the way just thought about it for a moment and it couldn't be the slotket I mean everything blacked out after the reboot before that everything was working fine.

I doubt its the CPU especially if you didn't mess with it at all unless the heatsink is not properly attached.

The slotket would be my bet. Are you adjusting voltage using the slotket or the board? Its generally best to leave the slotket at default and adjust voltage using the board if you can.

If thats it then you can probably pick up a cheap slotket for temporary use

deez said:
I doubt its the CPU especially if you didn't mess with it at all unless the heatsink is not properly attached.

The slotket would be my bet. Are you adjusting voltage using the slotket or the board? Its generally best to leave the slotket at default and adjust voltage using the board if you can.

If thats it then you can probably pick up a cheap slotket for temporary use

Nope the voltage on the slotket are only from 1.8v to 3.6v unfortunatly so I used the mobo and the chip just blew out on me.

Back