• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just figured out something cool... well to me it is

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Problem:
NO VIDEO SIGNAL TO MONITOR, BUT MONITOR WON'T GO INTO STANDBY.

You know when you turn off your computer or when you set your POWER SAVER settings to turn off display that your LCD will still be on, but the light will be red or orange instead of green?... how basically it's in STANDBY MODE??

Well, for about 2 weeks my Dell 2405fpw wouldn't do it, but my 2005fpw would. This was after I replaced my 7200.10 320gb x 3 matrix setup with my new 2x74 16meg raptors (raid0)... The Dell ultrasharps have their own built-in screen savers and that's the one I kept seeing instead of the monitor turning off.

Anyway, the fix? I figured why not make sure the cables are snug, and whataya know... the cable that goes to the 2405fpw was just slightly not snug on one side. The side of the DVI port that has the 4 pins with the cross in the middle. I think this designates single-link or dual-link DVI and if it's DVI-A, DVI-I or what have you...

Okay, maybe it's not so cool to some people, but I feel like I'm probably the first person in the world to experience this and now I can share it... maybe someday, a year from now, 2 years from now, someone will come across this post. :)

Okay, nighty night.

I think thats slightly intresting as well. Allthough I don't have dell OR DVI monitors I'll still keep it in mind if I upgrade, thanks!

Back