• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 core cpus....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nsgnsg

when do you guys predict they will come out.. cause i am building a new system with the q660, and my brother asked me when i was gonna upgrade i said when 8 cores come out, so i was wondering does anyone know when they will come out.. if yes... how long would it take to cost under 400..

is it too early to know, has intel announced anything???

I'm not aware of any announcements from Intel on that, but don't expect it for at least a couple years.

8 threads will be available by the end of the year, 4 cores with Hyperthreading that is. BUT, the way AMD is these days Intel could very well delay that, its not like they have any competition to worry about so why rush new products to the market?

Btw, 8 physical cores for single socket systems has been available for many years already (2005 i think), the Sun Ultrasparc T1 has 8 cores and 32 threads and the Ultrasparc T2 (launched a few months ago) has 8 cores and 64 threads, so strictly speaking your upgrade is already many years over due. :D

Eight? How about 80! Feb, 2007:

Intel shows off 80-core processor

By Tom Krazit
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
Published: February 11, 2007

Chief Technical Officer Justin Rattner demonstrated the processor in San Francisco last week for a group of reporters, and the company will present a paper on the project during the International Solid State Circuits Conference in the city this week.

The chip is capable of producing 1 trillion floating-point operations per second, known as a teraflop. That's a level of performance that required 2,500 square feet of large computers a decade ago.

I don't think either will be available for use on the system nsgnsg is considering :(

LOL, if only, if only...

ya... well atleast theirs one person here who knows what i mean:)

lol 1024.. thats really amazing..

hardware is out pacing software by far. tbh 2 cores is enough to do anything these days and 4 cores is luxury ^ ^ i wouldnt expect octo cores for years from now but the way technology changes who knows.

http://www.mikeshardware.co.uk/RoadmapQ408.htm#Intel Nehalem

I found this site a couple weeks ago trying to find something totally unrelated, but it seems pretty detailed.

http://www.mikeshardware.co.uk said:
Intel Nehalem CPU, the successor to the Core architecture and based on a 45nm process, is expected to be released in H2. Nehalem is expected to feature up to 8 cores, with two simultaneous threads per core - similar to Intel's Pentium 4 Hyperthreading technology, a multi-tiered cache system and an integrated DDR3 memory controller with support for 1 to 4 channels depending on the CPU model. Certain Nehalem models will also feature an integrated graphics core. Nehalem will introduce a new point-to-point serial bus (Common Serial Bus - CSI), replacing the antiquated PSB of previous generations.

you can get 8cores now if you can spend the money for a LGA771/FB-Dimm setup, its 2 cpu sockets on one board....

Back