• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XPS M1530 vs. Inspiron 1720?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

I am about to get a new laptop since my fiance decided that my current one is now hers lol. At first I was going to go all out but, spending near 3k on a laptop is a little much. I looked at the Inspiron 1720 and the XPS M1530. My question to you all is why can i get better specs for cheaper on the Inspiron? I mean it has a 17in High res glossy screen with the 8600gt. The XPS only comes with a 15in one. Can anyone explain what the difference between the two are? For me it has to have a core duo with a min of 2.0 clock speed, min of 8600gt, min of 2 gigs ram, and a min of 120g hd (7200 speed prefered). Maybe I am just crazy, but it seems the inspiron is a better computer that the low end xps lol.

90 % Marketing and 10% build quality. XPS laptops are probably built a lot better.

I have (had, it died) a inspiron and it was built with cheap parts. Thin plastic, etc. I've worked with several Lattitudes and they are usually built with higher quality plastics.

Well It seems you already have a decent desktop, why not get a smaller 15.4 or even smaller 13.3/12.1 sub notebook. But I am going to to tell you flat out gaming on a notebook just does not work. Its expensive and becomes out dated very quickly. Example, the fastest 15.4 only has the 8600GT which we all know how bad the desktop 8600GT sucks. You can't upgrade the dells atm because they are not modular except for the older 9300/9400 and XPS M170 and 1710. Trust me, I have been down this road with a big 17 "gaming" notebook, its just not worth it. Again look into a 13.3inch notebook. Something like the XPS 1330. Its light, good battery life, small, full desktop performance with the ability to play older games here and there. It can complement your desktop.

Yea i saw the prices of the gaming notebooks and figured it was a huge waste. Out of curiosity, how bad is the 8600gt in the laptops? My main question I guess is if it is worth grabbing the XPS over the Inspiron?

Yea i saw the prices of the gaming notebooks and figured it was a huge waste. Out of curiosity, how bad is the 8600gt in the laptops? My main question I guess is if it is worth grabbing the XPS over the Inspiron?
umm they are the same as the desktop version but with slower clock speeds all around. Also the Inspiron will have GDDR2 and the XPS will have GDDR3. With both O/Ced you should see 4K on the GDDR2 version, and the on the GDDR3 5K in 06

Seems like the XPS is a better deal then. The 8600gt is not too bad of a card I guess. I am not looking to play tons of games on it. Mainly going to be used as a decently fast laptop that I can use to play some older games, watch movies, and browse the internet. Seems like it should pan out for that.

WXGA is 1280x800 screen resolution which is just to low for a 15.4 inch LCD. Try and get a WXGA+ screen or better yet a WSXGA+ screen

wel... considering the performance of the gpu being the screen its not at al lthat bad, try having a 8600m gt power the 1920x1200... it will play like crap at that res, but at 1280x800, very smooth :)

anyways... im back, with a question, do the 1530's come with the ddr3 8600m gt ? or the ddr2 version ??

cool thanks, i can get a deal on a new xps 1530 so i think i may take it :) the price is more than right :D:D

i just got an xps 1530 a few weeks ago. it runs real smoothly, other than some vista problems.
specs: t8300 2.4 ghz core2duo
4gb ram
8600gt
1680 1050 glossy screen
160gb hd

i would recommend this laptop to anyone, but i regret not downgrading to xp.

The 8600MGT in my XPS1530 eats Bioshock, and HL2 @ 1280x1024 (check sig for rig specs). There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 8600MGT and please don't let anyoen tell you otherwise. I actually own one and use it for gaming.

Now, that being said, if you're trying to play Crysis (I know it's now become cliche) at freakin' 1600x1200 or something stupid like that, yes it's going to blow chunks.

Go XPS1530 or go home. I find myself saying that a lot lately ever since I got mine a couple weeks ago.

Hope this helps! Jackattak

Unlike most everyone else who I have heard from, I don't do a lot of gaming (other than HL2 Orange Box). I know it is going to kick butt with my consulting work, though.

I am happy to hear that the system will be sufficient for my purposes.

By the way, I went with the 1440x900. My only concern is the 5400rpm hard drive and Samsung LCD, which is reportedly subpar.

Back