• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalicoDreams

Registered
Hi all,

I am going to be ordering a new system fairly soon (in the next few weeks) and I have a question about how much my CPU will bottleneck the GPU. I have little understanding of how bottlenecks work, so here are my system specs:

Intel 2160 (1.8GHz with 1mb cache) OC to 3.0GHz i.e. 333*9
Gigabyte P35-DS3
Geil 667mhz 3-4-4-8 DDR2
Antec Eartwattz 500Watts PSU

My question is, considering I am aiming for a budget system with good performance, should i get:

3850 256mb @ 249 AUD
3850 512mb @ 299 AUD
3870 512mb @ 360 AUD

Also how effective is CrossFire with these GPU's? And what after market heatsink should i get to OC these cards? Everywhere I look lists only nvidia heatsinks.

what resolution are you running or plan to run off of whatever video card you are going to get?

Screen Resolution: 1280*1024 on a 17" LCD, I may consider upgrading to a 19" at a later date.

Games I play now are mainly Starcraft and CSS. But when i get the new system I am hoping to play Supreme Commander, COD 4, Crysis and whatever new RTS come out soon (I can barely wait for Starcraft 2 to come out).

This is a link to the graphics card I am considering to purchase:

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=82&bid=5&sid=28142

8800GT for $305 AUD

Or is this card too 'good' for my system.

CalicoDreams

Screen Resolution: 1280*1024 on a 17" LCD, I may consider upgrading to a 19" at a later date.

Games I play now are mainly Starcraft and CSS. But when i get the new system I am hoping to play Supreme Commander, COD 4, Crysis and whatever new RTS come out soon (I can barely wait for Starcraft 2 to come out).

This is a link to the graphics card I am considering to purchase:

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=82&bid=5&sid=28142

8800GT for $305 AUD

Or is this card too 'good' for my system.

CalicoDreams

The 8800GT is a good card and so is the 3870-- you will need this kind of power to play future games and Crysis/

I think any of the 512meg cards you named would be perfect. Especially for Crysis (from what I hear). You said 'budget' clearly, so perhaps the 3850's.

You may see some bottlenecking on Supreme Commander. My C2D OC'd still chokes a bit on that game when you've got 500 units moving in to attack. (Also note that SC is very sensitve to overclocks in gpu's. It's the only game I back off to stock when playing.)

Good Luck!

Back