• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stop the downclocking!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IAmMoen

Ok so I just reverted back to the 7.11 drivers because of issues with the 7.12 but my core always downclocks when I am in a game resulting in choppiness. Anyway to turn that off?

Usually that's due to temperatures getting too high and the GPU kicking back down to 2D clocks in an emergency to prevent overheating. You can either get better cooling or lower your overclock until it stops doing it.

Now that's just weird... But hey, nvidia drivers aren't perfect, the latest betas are, but the ones before had my display driver crashing every 5 minutes.

Get rivatuner or atitool and adjust your fan speed if you have that kind of card. Sounds like you a temp issue to me.

Mine could be doing this as well, or my cpu is just bottlenecking but it easily meets the recommended specs of a 3ghz P4.

Titan Quest with all settings on high, 1680x1050, 0 AA, 8 AF gives me occasional choppiness and at times when a large light/flame is somewhere onscreen the game will drop to like 5 fps.

No way could a 3870 be limited by TQ....

so here is a picture of a log while I was playing DoD:S. If that is too hot then I don't know how my 7900gs is still living.

Attachments

• declocking.jpg
    declocking.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 807
Try uninstalling and re-installing drivers (again)? I'm sure you know all about using DriverCleaner between driver installations, but just had to mention it to be thorough. Yea, your temps look totally fine. Maybe try applying a moderate overclock and see if it still does it, for the sake of curiosity?

Its a driver issue, im having some of those exact problems in a few games.. doesn't bother me that much since i never play them anyway. But i can't wait for these drivers to mature. :beer:

If your using a stock cooler and don't care about the loud fan try using ATI tool V0.27b.

I also seem to suspect that when temps get higher an ATI card downclocks to a 2d clock.

in ATI tool try setting the fan control to keep temp to a certian degree. Like in my case i keep the temp at 60c when it reaches more than that temp the fan starts to speed up to 80-100%. during a game the temp is at 60c and will not rise the fan occationally speeds up and slows down depending on the temp.

It seems this is the only automatic fan control that actually is working with ATI tool.

Ok so I just reverted back to the 7.11 drivers because of issues with the 7.12 but my core always downclocks when I am in a game resulting in choppiness. Anyway to turn that off?

Are you sure the clocks are dropping??? How are you determining they are cause there
are many reasons you can be studdering/choppy game play???

Viper

Are you sure the clocks are dropping??? How are you determining they are cause there
are many reasons you can be studdering/choppy game play???

Viper

Both the choppiness and the rivatuner log that I previously posted. It shows the core dropping and going back up frequently.

Both the choppiness and the rivatuner log that I previously posted. It shows the core dropping and going back up frequently.

It is definitely not temperature related from the RT graph. The clocks are changing because
the drivers are switching them clock between 2D and 3D modes. That could be the drivers
can't make up their mind that what you are doing is a 3D application selves or if you are using
AtiTool to set the clocks automatically.

Try using RivaTuner to lock the card up with the same clocks in both 2D and 3D and see what happens.

BTW what computer PS are you running???

Viper

It is definitely not temperature related from the RT graph. The clocks are changing because
the drivers are switching them clock between 2D and 3D modes. That could be the drivers
can't make up their mind that what you are doing is a 3D application selves or if you are using
AtiTool to set the clocks automatically.

Try using RivaTuner to lock the card up with the same clocks in both 2D and 3D and see what happens.

BTW what computer PS are you running???

Viper

Its the 600w ocz in my sig.

And how do I use rivatuner to lock the 2d and 3d clocks together?

I finally had some time to game last night again and I put it up to a modest oc 830/1200 and it ran like a dream with no downclocking. Yay!

I am going to give this a shot as well, although I have also found out Titan Quest IM is poorly written and can result in overkill systems having trouble running it smoothly! Oh well its too fun to quit, dang choppiness.

I finally had some time to game last night again and I put it up to a modest oc 830/1200 and it ran like a dream with no downclocking. Yay!

IAmMoen, did you use RivaTuner to set those clocks, or did you use the CCC and still let it control the clocks automatically? I'm having problems similar to this with Call of Duty 4, and occasionally in HL2 and CS:Source.

Back