• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Max Memory vs. # of slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xxjt2oxx

Registered
Just curious,

I'm building a new machine, wondering if these different configurations will give me any significant performance differences.

I already have 4x512mb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800, giving me a total of 2gb. Picked it up at NewEgg for $20 a week ago during the $90 - $70 MIR deal.

Option 1:
4x512mb : Running both dual channel

Option 2:
2x1gb : Running dual channel

Which of the above will give me the best performance?

Thanks in advance!

Always better to go with less dimms imo.

I know AMD doesnt like the use of 4 dimms. Not sure about Intel.

Im running 4 sticks of crucial ballistix in both of my rigs and have tried 2 sticks and havent noticed any diff as far as overclocking or stability

With 4 sticks, the max overclock will go down. By how much depends on too many factors for me to give an actual answer.

I would go for option 2 ;)

i have 4 stix in my AMD, i had 2 prior, clocked to the same. but 2 stix would be better b/c you can upgrade later.

i have 4 stix in my AMD, i had 2 prior, clocked to the same. but 2 stix would be better b/c you can upgrade later.

So, as far as benchmarking goes though, will running 4x512mb run faster than 2x1gb? No overclocking.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably end up going with 2x2gb, since I do want 4gb, and the consensus seems to be that 2 sticks will give me a better OC :)

So, as far as benchmarking goes though, will running 4x512mb run faster than 2x1gb? No overclocking.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably end up going with 2x2gb, since I do want 4gb, and the consensus seems to be that 2 sticks will give me a better OC :)

Two may run a tad faster as you can run with a 1t command rate where four should run in 2t.

Chances are you wouldnt even notice the difference.

Back