• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is using SB D/A convertor with digital DVD out, not analog, better quality?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I am honestly totally electronically challenged. My LG GSA-H10N (ATA) DVD player has both an analog audio (4-pin?) and a digital output (2-pin? -its not SPDIF. I am not aware if I can even connect a DVD player digital output to a Soundblaster new X-Fi X-Gamer pci soundcard (&/or my mobo too). Initially the DVD will be installed on an Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP mobo which has HD sound onboard. In only a short time I will add a soundcard, probably the $100 SB X-Fi X-Gamer, unless the X-Gamer Fatal1ty is one sale at the same time.

I can only assume that in the audiophile world the quality of the analog audio signal supplied by the D/A convertor of the DVD player could be described as pitiful. For serious sound quality, I have never considererd applying the concepts within a computer system. I have thought of sound hw as for gaming. Iow, I have never had a pooter disk with a digital output. If a SB soundcard does have an audio D/A I can only assume it is better than using the D/A convertor of the DVD player. I assume those with their pc systems connected to serious speakers and external amps, etc. may be able to answer this.

Q1)
Does a $100 SB X-Fi X-Gamer have the neccesary hardware to decode D/A sound?

Q2)
Any comments on the improvement in sound?

Q3)
Is it possible to connect the digital output of the DVD player to the mobo?

Last edited:
On a computer...all sound is digital and converted to analog. The D/A converter does exactly what it says...converts digital data streams to analog audio. Now if youre passing the digital from your computer to your DVD player...then the DVD player will use its own D/A converter to decode the data to analog audio.

well for mp3s on a HDD I guess the SB would have to get the sound signal through the pci slot, but I'm not sure what happens beyond that.

Maybe I should have been specific but what I was considering was playing CDs in the CD/DVD player for music where the source could be decoded by either the DVD or the soundcard. I don't even know if a SB X-Fi ext-Gamer has a D/A. I think I should be ashamed, but I've only ever considerd EAX and stuff.

|I have some mp3s on DVD now, so I'm not sure what happens if I play them.

Don't bother with the analog outputs on the DVD drive. If I read correctly that's what you're talking about, it must be a somewhat older drive to even have audio outputs. Although I suppose it's possible the DACs (digital-analog converter) are decent I seriously doubt it, even drives from 4 years ago were starting to get cost-cut and I would really doubt even then they were as good as a soundcard. The best bet is to just connect the drive to the mobo and let the drive cable carry the audio stream.

And yes virtually all soundcards have a DAC, if they have analog outs, typically in the form of line-out 1/8" headphone-type jacks, then they have a DAC :) There may be some wierd professional digital-only stuff that doesn't but that's not what you're looking at. Now technically 'decoding' when talking about a compressed music format refers to taking the compressed format and 'uncompressing' it to prepare it for playback. It's still digital at that point, then the audio stream gets converted from digital to analog.

btw the best deal in soundcards going right now is still the frys.com X-Fi Xtrememusic OEM, check the cyberdeals forum.

I am honestly totally electronically challenged. My LG GSA-H10N (ATA) DVD player has both an analog audio (4-pin?) and a digital output (2-pin? -its not SPDIF. I am not aware if I can even connect a DVD player digital output to a Soundblaster new X-Fi X-Gamer pci soundcard (&/or my mobo too). Initially the DVD will be installed on an Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP mobo which has HD sound onboard. In only a short time I will add a soundcard, probably the $100 SB X-Fi X-Gamer, unless the X-Gamer Fatal1ty is one sale at the same time.

I can only assume that in the audiophile world the quality of the analog audio signal supplied by the D/A convertor of the DVD player could be described as pitiful. For serious sound quality, I have never considererd applying the concepts within a computer system. I have thought of sound hw as for gaming. Iow, I have never had a pooter disk with a digital output. If a SB soundcard does have an audio D/A I can only assume it is better than using the D/A convertor of the DVD player. I assume those with their pc systems connected to serious speakers and external amps, etc. may be able to answer this.

Q1)
Does a $100 SB X-Fi X-Gamer have the neccesary hardware to decode D/A sound?

Q2)
Any comments on the improvement in sound?

Q3)
Is it possible to connect the digital output of the DVD player to the mobo?
usually the DVD player DAC's are superior to sound card DAC's because DVD"s are 24bit where most of what you encounter in in computer audio is still 16bit (CD's are 16bit). and don't buy the creative jibber jabber. their 24 bit stuff doesn't hold up to EMU or M-Audio's 24bit gear. meanwhile alot of people think that 24bit DAC's sound too mechanical and analytical and prefer 16bit/44.8k versus 24bit/96k.

all in all it's peanuts. if you poke around you can find much better DAC's for some nice prices in either bit depth. pro tip: don't be afraid of things from china and taiwan.

Last edited:
"frys.com X-Fi Xtrememusic OEM, check the cyberdeals forum"

I'm in Toronto, and I never mail order anything. For all intents and purposes does that put me out of this sort of soundcard? I doubt I'd do this.

btw, I was planning on going standard retail box stock "SB....Gamer" as opposed to "SB....Music", simply because I want to ensure I get the best gameplay, and know the sound is iffy,anyway. Should I consider if I have that thinking backward; i.e., e.g: all do EAX fine, but the "SB....Music" will sound better? Otherwise I don't know a diff. Have to re-read the options list to know the first thing about either. All I know is the $100 "SB....Gamer" Retail box is better than the $75 non-Retail of the same name for whatever reasons (eg hw vs. sw)

Another thing I should consider is the speakers. I am planning on getting a set of the 5 powered speakers set - the Logitec 5500. I am not sure if all these sets are "digital", or what that means. I have just seen them as "great" and on sale always; convenient, relatively low priced to put w/ a pooter. Will these things have anything in and of themselves that could complicate the matter of the analog/digital/interface.

Last edited:
Oh, ok.

I think to be clear for people you should state whether the DVD player is an internal DVD drive or a standalone player I think it's an internal drive but others may have picked up on something I didn't, but the recommendation will depend heavily upon which one it is.

internal ATA LG GSA-H10N

"Drawer type manual load / Electrical release

X3T13 ATA/ATAPI5/1321D, INF-8090i Rev.5.3"

Yes that's what I thought, the thread title confuses it a bit but the '(ATA)' in the first post told me it was an internal drive. I think the others took it to be an external stand-alone DVD player.

Actually I got two differing opinions I think, regarding the D/As. Thats excellent for starters, but heres the confusion (did I mention I am e-ically challenged):

Q1) If the DVD layer isn't connected to either the analog or digital out what happens to the signal? - depend on type of source - does it travel via the ATA cable -which decoder is used

Q2) If it is connected via digital out (& ATA cable) to SB?

Q3) If it connected via analog out (& ATA cable) to the SB?

Q4) If it connected via both digital out & analog out (& ATA cable) to the SB?

I am not trying to be an ahole, but I forgot to mention I did not know what happens when you do or do not also connect with one, the other, or both of these optional analog or digital wires as well as the std. ATA cable.

For now I have learned a little about it. I think there is a "use digital only" or something checkbox when using it. Does this mean you can connect both A & D (all 3, w/ the ATA) types at the same time. p.s When I get the 5500s am I gonna find I want a SPDIF (don't know if this comes all the way from the disk, or if it is originated elsewhere, eg. mobo?

I have never read this,

http://www.marklevinson.com/products/overview.asp?cat=disc&prod=no390s

but I think it would tell me why I 'd want to spend $6 700.00 on a seperate D/A for listening to stereo music CDs (actually I am not sure if the transport is included for that list price).

Last edited:
Back