• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Q6600 and P5K Deluxe overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rack04

Well it seems like I've hit a wall with my Q6600 overclock and would like some suggestions on how to push it further. My complete system specs are in my sig. Currently I'm running 425 MHz x 8 with 1.375 vcore, 2.2 vdimm, and 4-4-4-12 timings. All other voltages are set to auto, i.e. north bridge, south bridge, and fsb termination. Under full load using Prime95 v25.5a for 24 hours my temps peak at 60 degrees C. What are acceptable temperatures for these processors? Also, what are acceptable vcore and vdimm? Should I try setting the northbridge and southbridge voltages to something other than auto? Thanks.

oc1.jpg

To get over 425FSB you are going to have to start playing w/ some other settings. Of course, you can just raise that multi up to 9, and go that way if you wish.

I have an 8 multi quad (x3210), and a P5K-Premium, so we have fairly similar setups.

Here's my BIOS settings and notes:

Update 2 BIOS settings/notes:

JumperFree Configuration Settings
AI Overclocking: Manual
CPU Ratio Control: Auto (manual for testing)
- Ratio CMOS Setting: 8
FSB Strap to Northbridge: Auto
FSB Frequency: 450 (Max is 480 for me w/ multi at 7)
PCI-E Frequency: 100 (110 didn't allow any additional OC on GPU)
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-900
DRAM Command Rate: 2T
DRAM Timing Control: Manual
CAS# Latency: 4
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
RAS# Precharge: 4
RAS# Activate to Precharge: 8
TWR: Auto
TRFC: 25
TWTR: 3 (shows up as 10 in memset [skewed])
TRRD: Auto
TRTP: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: disabled (I can't enable this and TB at the same time)

Transaction Booster: Enabled
Boost/Relax Level: Level 2 (corresponds to Performance Level = 6)
Clock Over-Charging Mode: 1.000v (had on AUTO, but higher FSB speeds demanded 1v. I may be able to turn this back down a bit for 450)

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage: 1.5125v (anything lower gave me core failures after 1.5-2hrs. 1.6v allowed 3.8GHz, but I think a little more is needed for P95.4 stability)
CPU Voltage Reference: 0.63x (I wasn't getting much over 3.2GHz until I changed this from Auto. 0.57x, and 0.59x wasn't stable. 0.61x worked, but I have a feeling 0.63x is best.)
CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled
CPU PLL Voltage: 1.70 (I may be able to reduce this to 1.6 for 450FSB. At 480FSB 1.5-1.6 [or 1.7?] wasn't stable, [1.7?], 1.8-2.2 worked.)
DRAM Voltage: 2.2 (2.3 was used to ensure stability through testing, but 2.2 should be fine, maybe 2.15)
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.40 (1.5 for 480FSB, I may be able to go lower at 450)
North Bridge Voltage: 1.55 (1.8 for 480, anything higher is actually worse)
North Bridge Voltage Reference: AUTO (0.67x for 480FSB, auto seems to work best for 450)
South Bridge Voltage: 1.05 (I had it at 1.2 during testing to ensure stability...don't know if it helped)

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Control: Auto (manual for testing)
- Ratio CMOS Setting: 8
C1E Suppport: Enabled (disabled for testing)
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled (I just left this disabled, I don't know if it hurts or helps)
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled (I just left this disabled, I don't know if it hurts or helps)
CPU TM Function: Enabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled (Not sure what this does, but I've seen others w/ it enabled)
PECI: Enabled

Every CPU/MoBo is different, but this might help you find that 'magic' setting that is holding you back. Clock-Overcharging mode, and CPU Voltage Reference made a big difference for me at higher FSB speeds.

Every CPU/MoBo is different, but this might help you find that 'magic' setting that is holding you back. Clock-Overcharging mode, and CPU Voltage Reference made a big difference for me at higher FSB speeds.

Thanks for the information. I've never messed with the Clock-Overcharging mode and CPU Voltage Reference. What are safe temperatures and voltages for the Q6600?

Assuming P95 small fft load on a G0...
I've had my CPU up into the low 80's during testing, but that was for a very short time. Most people will agree that mid-upper 60's is fine. I think your fine up to mid 70's if you want to push it. You'll never get that hot under actual use anyway.

I have my BIOS set at 1.5125 and Voltage Damper enabled. CPU-Z shows 1.488v under load. Go by what CPU-Z says or use a DMM. You should be good to 1.5v under load...maybe 1.55v (on air). Water will give you more wiggle room.

Dont be afraid to up the NB and SB voltage as well as enable VDROOP(Voltage Dampener) to help stabalize CPU vcore settings.Also your ramn may not need as high as 2.2v

I have many sets of Crucial Ballistix,and none need over 2.15 to get well over 1066(these being pc6400 kits)

Help with Q6600 and P5K Deluxe overclocking

Hi i am new to overclocking how can i get the most out of my ram 8800 and quad core?

-------------------

1st OS:Windows xp media cener 32bit
2nd OS:windows vista ultimate 32bit
CPU:Q6600 2.40GHZ
MB:Asus P5K Deluxe 775 DDR2 P35
RAM:GEIL BLACK DRAGON GAMING SERIES DDR2 4 x 1GB 1066mMHZ
1st HDD:Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000RPM (WD1500ADFD)
2nd HDD:Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000RPM(WD1500ADFD)
GPU:pNY nVidia GeForce 8800 ULTRA 768MB GDDR3
PSU:Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W

rack thats interesting as your coretemp temps are higher than your AI suite temps. Thats like mine but its the other way round but difference in temps is about the same though :confused:

Back