• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Will Consider Going Blu-Ray

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This changes nothing. I'm an interesting market segment, I'll confess though.

I've purchased... 6? DVDs in my lifetime (And I don't pirate movies) mostly as gifts for other people. I'm not a big movie watcher.

However I do like that Microsoft isn't locked into HDDVD or BlueRay. seems like solid business practice to me.

No one (And I mean no one) makes a business decision based on "principle" when it relates to technological advances. If something shows it's technically superior, AND the superiority is not a huge tradeoff in price, and it appeals to a general market then generally that will succeed.

So yeah, 360 may get Blu-Ray. Woopie-day ;). I'm not buying either adapter till I find a movie I actually want to actually you know... buy and watch ;). As it stands, I generally just watch with friends and we rent or use their collection.

well, if they made games that actually used blu-ray to their advantage, then.. h*&& yeah!
but if the games were still just the same and the whole blu-ray experience was limited to movies... no. not at all. (unless as an added benefit to my purchasing it MS allowed me to port mods into the games i play without having to hack my pretty pretty 360... yeah right)
not worth that kind of money JUST to see that guys nose hair just a little clearer :p

Title should read 'Microsoft will follow the money'

MicroSoft has stated all along that they COULD use an external BluRay dive just as the did HD-DVD and if the market segment demanded it then they would even clear back at the beginning in the J.Allard days. This changes nothing.

MS was backing HD-DVD just because they could get access to it easily, as well not supporting the Sony product at the same time. Yet there decision not to put it into the 360 was that, which I still find odd, not support a format that could be dead or become propiratairy (yup I spelt that wrong). Sure there was a cost thing behind it as well and possible low supply but the big one from an image perspective I think is MS didn't want to fully back a product that could not win.

Why must Sony always try to market the more expensive, technologically inferior product. I'll say Betamax was better than VHS, but there were certain issues they faced. Just as they're facing with HD-DVD today. I'm just hoping that HD-DVD gets some more advertising and a cheap player comes out.

Why must Sony always try to market the more expensive, technologically inferior product. I'll say Betamax was better than VHS, but there were certain issues they faced. Just as they're facing with HD-DVD today. I'm just hoping that HD-DVD gets some more advertising and a cheap player comes out.

huh?
Sony markets the more expensive and technologically SUPERIOR product not inferior. It's just their greed in wanting a slice of the pie for every bit of media sold that turns companies off. Their licensing fees are too high. Maybe they lowered them with BluRay?

If this happens Toshiba won't be very happy I mean they did join with MS to promote HD-DVD.

Of course but every company does have a way to back out. If there isn't its probably one of the dumbest contracts then that any company could accept. Sure Toshiba might be upset but its business, and if its dragging MS down (well figuratively speaking) then they will hop off exclusive player and go to both possibly.

Say isn't MS losing a ton of money when they teamed up with Toshiba since Blu-ray won the "higher definition" battle?

Say isn't MS losing a ton of money when they teamed up with Toshiba since Blu-ray won the "higher definition" battle?

Why? Its an added accessory. Sure they won't make as much anymore on the item because people might not buy as much right now but the HD battle is still going. Its not over til the last company lays down the HD-DVD and converts. So the game is still on.

Eh when Warner Bros. signed onto Blu-ray last week, that pretty much sealed the deal for Blu-ray. And I mean Toshiba and MS had so much invested into HD, and not that Blu-ray is gonna be the dominant format thats why I said they lost money on their investment.

No. Microsoft has long stated that their reason for supporting HD or BD is the lower production costs and interactivity. I do believe that they had a hand in developing the HDi standard, and they are a partner in the "buy a player and get xxx HD's free" promotion. However, Sony has also done the same so each side has heavily subsidized players and content to encourage early adoption.

Microsoft's bread and butter is in the software. Specifically, Microsoft is responsible for the VC-1 codec which was typically the codec of choice for HD DVD. Microsoft probably collects some sort of royalty for the use of their codec in high-definition media. Companies such as Universal, Paramount, and Warner, which just went BD-exclusive, all use VC-1 as their preferred codec of choice. The short is story is that Microsoft is and will continue to collect money regardless of who "wins."

deception``

No. Microsoft has long stated that their reason for supporting HD or BD is the lower production costs and interactivity. I do believe that they had a hand in developing the HDi standard, and they are a partner in the "buy a player and get xxx HD's free" promotion. However, Sony has also done the same so each side has heavily subsidized players and content to encourage early adoption.

Microsoft's bread and butter is in the software. Specifically, Microsoft is responsible for the VC-1 codec which was typically the codec of choice for HD DVD. Microsoft probably collects some sort of royalty for the use of their codec in high-definition media. Companies such as Universal, Paramount, and Warner, which just went BD-exclusive, all use VC-1 as their preferred codec of choice. The short is story is that Microsoft is and will continue to collect money regardless of who "wins."

deception``

unless they switch from VC1 to standard Mpeg4 or AVC

Which is inevitable. But I think Megatron is implying that Microsoft will still gain royalties on the existing HD-DVDs... which they will... for as long as they exist. Just like what happened with VHS casettes and minidiscs the HD-DVDs will disappear overnight. And you won't see VC-1 on any blu-ray discs.

Which is inevitable. But I think Megatron is implying that Microsoft will still gain royalties on the existing HD-DVDs... which they will... for as long as they exist. Just like what happened with VHS casettes and minidiscs the HD-DVDs will disappear overnight. And you won't see VC-1 on any blu-ray discs.

Warner uses VC-1 for Blu-Ray; I don't see why they would change.....

AVC is the codec of choice for Sony and Disney in particular. [and Fox, too!]

deception``

Last edited:
Warner uses VC-1 for Blu-Ray; I don't see why they would change.....

AVC is the codec of choice for Sony and Disney in particular. [and Fox, too!]

deception``

Hmm... I thought they didn't have any Warner blu-ray discs yet. Didn't they JUST switch to blu-ray? Or have they always and they just decided to be exclusive?

Hmm... I thought they didn't have any Warner blu-ray discs yet. Didn't they JUST switch to blu-ray? Or have they always and they just decided to be exclusive?

Warner has long published discs for both Blu-Ray and HD DVD. They use the VC-1 codec regardless of format. Check out High Def Digest as a good resource for BD/HD.

deception``

Since Microsoft is the king of the hill in software why not do 1 thing and move xbox 360 games to HD-DVD and create that so called Ultimate console. It's what loads of analists suggest and they also state that cause PS3 games are on blu-ray and 360's aint on HD-DVD PS3 has a so-called advantage.

Yet to me they haven't they have not yet produced an exclusive and I don't think there filling up Blu-ray's capacity, to me this is like Sony gettings its own back when they lost exclusive right to Devil May Cry 4 and GTA4.

Back