• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I missing something key as to what makes H3 matchmaking so awesome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I got an Xbox 360 for xmas and have been playing it quite a bit, The only game I have really done outside of my group of friends though is Halo 3. Am I missing the boat on what makes the matchmaking system so great? It seems to me like it takes forever, Doesnt give you the game/mapselection of a server system and doesnt create a sense of community like a server system does.

Do all xbox games use this type of matchmaking system or are there some that actually let me pick a server that has a map rotation that I like, and people I can play with semi regularly?

Yeah I saw that xbox live wasnt working all so hot, but I was more curious in general if a matchmaking type service is used or if a Server type system is used across the majority of xbox games? (server being the prefered method for me)

I think it varies from game to game. Halo 3 and cod 4 have matchmaking but Gears of War has servers. I don't think there is a standard.

Servers are wrong for halo. There is alot of discussion about this on the Halo.Bungie.Org forums.

Here is a quote from a bungie employee-
Achranos said:
That's becaue standard server browsers don't work, and you aren't very observant if you think that they have been working. Step back and think about it. How many times have you looked a server list in a game, and couldn't find a fast server, with open slots, that let you play a game you want? How many times have you hit "join" and then been told that the server was full? How about if the host quits - who do you migrate to? What if doesn't want to play that game? What if the host is losing, and boots you to make things easier? And how many times have you gone into a game, thinking it was one type or map config, and then found out that it had been altered in an unpleasant way?

To put it in perspective of Halo - how many times has some jackass come into your forge session you forgot to close and screwed up hours of your work?

Now, before you say, "But, Achronos, my friends won't do that to me" remember that I'm talking about a server browser used for general users to join. You already essentially have one for your friends list... and their friends list too, using the friends of friends feature. Adding in anonymous custom game searching makes the above common place, where right now it is just your friends messing with you.

Server browsers are not the solution. Matchmaking playlists are really the best compromise for anonymous game gathering. Maybe for future games we make we'll try something different or alter our approach. But for now, this is the best we have in terms of game matching.

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=858957

There are some games that use a server system. I remember Mechassault did. Who knows though. You might come to like matchmaking.

Didyou check your xbox live connection to see wha your NAT status was? Mine was strict and it limits who you can join up to play. I got it open now and matchmaking works great in halo 3 now.

Didyou check your xbox live connection to see wha your NAT status was? Mine was strict and it limits who you can join up to play. I got it open now and matchmaking works great in halo 3 now.

Yes, if you NAT status is poor follow this MS guide LINK

Also I just started to play Halo 3 online and to me the load times aren't all that bad.

I haven't played H3 on xbl that much over the past couple months, so I haven't experienced the issues that a lot of people are complaining about. When was playing, though, the matchmaking was quick. I maybe had a couple minutes of downtime while it scanned for a game and set things up... It would have been nice to set gametypes, maps, weapon sets, etc... but that's what custom games are for. When you just want to get in a couple games w/o worrying about what you're playing, matchmaking is great.

I got an Xbox 360 for xmas and have been playing it quite a bit, The only game I have really done outside of my group of friends though is Halo 3. Am I missing the boat on what makes the matchmaking system so great? It seems to me like it takes forever, Doesnt give you the game/mapselection of a server system and doesnt create a sense of community like a server system does.

Do all xbox games use this type of matchmaking system or are there some that actually let me pick a server that has a map rotation that I like, and people I can play with semi regularly?

Custom games and Friends lists give you that server type experience you're talking about.

While there's a few nice things about the server method, I have generally thought it's terrible overall...especially for a casual player. Simply getting into a decent game can be a nightmare.

Matchmaking is awesome because it lets people just play the game.

I guess after a couple days of playing I almost always find a server where I like the maps rules and people so I stick with it. I can see it being less friendly to the majority of users though than a simple click the button go type enviroment.

Back