Notices

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.
Forum Jump

Broadband + wireless help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 12:41 PM Thread Starter   #1
winterone
Registered

Broadband + wireless help?

Forgive me I'm a little new to the wireless. I want my comcast connection to be wireless.(currently connected directly to my laptop ) I have a d-link wireless broadband router. Can I just hook this up to my current router to go wireless.

Mushkin PC3-12800 (2x2g)
EVGA 460se (845,1690,2000)
winterone is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-08, 12:42 AM   #2
bLack0ut

Ya it should work fine (I would reset router to factory defaults if you don't know what you're doing, they usually work right out of the box).

Old 01-10-08, 01:13 AM   #3
turd

10 Year Badge

"I have a d-link wireless broadband router. Can I just hook this up to my current router to go wireless."

While this is possible, I would forgo the router to router connection and just replace your existing router with the wireless one. May save you some steps.
turd is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-10-08, 09:47 AM   #4
Madwand

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterone View Post
Forgive me I'm a little new to the wireless. I want my comcast connection to be wireless.(currently connected directly to my laptop ) I have a d-link wireless broadband router. Can I just hook this up to my current router to go wireless.
Confusing question -- it sounds like you have two routers. If you have two routers, then you need to be careful about the setup, and either replace one or configure the second one as just an access point, not a router.

If you have just one router, then yes, it's generally a good idea to go through the router instead of directly to the Internet, as it provides you with an external firewall.

Be careful with wireless though, and do not use the default settings. This is generally designed to be fully open and easily accessible. This means that any neighbors can also get into your network easily. Take a bit of time, read the manual, and set up your router and clients with WPA encryption at minimum, using a long randomized key.
Madwand is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Internet, Networking, and Security
Internet, Networking, and Security Networking and Viruses/Malware trouble. Get the answers here.