• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sidewinder gaming mouse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been checking that mouse out, as well. It'd have to be pretty amazing to replace my trusty MX518, but it does look nice.

I think that when it comes down to the mid/high end optical/laser gaming mice, it all comes down to personal preference, mainly in terms of feel. They all have similar specs so I think the best way to choose a mouse would be to just go to a store that has them open on a rack to just feel them.

I personally have the Logitech G5, but you probably wouldn't be disappointed with a SideWinder although it's a bit expensive.

I got to try the Sidewinder out at Best Buy. I highly suggest you try before you buy, it has a very strange feel to it, and the side buttons being made like they are can be awkward. They don't feel as instantly accessible as the two side buttons on my 518, since they're raised out high for that solid silver button look.

Just grabbed one. Boy it's a bloody big mouse, and I thought I like big mice enough =/. I just played with it for a few hours now and can't really pinpoint the pros and cons but roughly:-

Pros
-- It's actually cheap (for the moment)! I got mine for NZD90 (~USD60) and I think the 25% Microsoft discount is gonna be until January 31st. Mine is OEM but who give a sheep at fancy boxes.
-- Handy on-the-fly DPI changer.
-- The wheel is a tad weird (it's metal), but actually works.
-- All buttons are easy to reach; the vertical side-buttons is a nice twist.
-- LCD display for DPI.
-- Weight container doubles as anchor.
-- Comfortable for those with medium-big hands.
-- Slick and beautiful. They say it's based on Master Chief, but I see more Transformer :).

Cons
-- Definitely not for average Asian (I am one :p). Fortunately it fits me quite well.
-- Definitely not for lefties.
-- Only 2000dpi maximum.
-- Only 500Hz reports frequency.
-- With that said, this is probably not for professional gamers.
-- Lack of DPI fine-tuning.
-- Some people might hate the ever-on red lights.
-- None of the features are really revolutionary.

I've never tried the G9, but from the reactions it seems like this mouse is a tad lower in greatness compared to G9, but probably better than the G5. There's nothing wrong with this mouse, but there's not much great things either (I actually love it for the look). All in all, it's definitely worth the purchase given it's low promotional price at the moment. But because it doesn't 'wow' me at the first impression, I give it an 8.5/10.:beer:

EDIT: I didn't yet try the macros (never used any macros with any mice before), but basically you can set the macros along with a time delay for execution. I'm not sure if it's common for other mice, but it's a nice feature.

when i read sidewinder, i think about halo and those good old days in TWL and KW, ahh, sidewinder was a good map to play klan wars on...

goo ol' days

Back