• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sharing dial up over network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Socket eh?

I need to setup my dial up network so that anyone can use the internet through my main rig over the wireless without having to manual IP config every time.

I have my network setup, and everything works, but to get internet the IP needs to be set to:

Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS: 192.168.0.1

The computer with the internet connection is 192.168.0.1
My router is 192.168.0.2

It's very annoying to manually set this up, then remove it when I move to another network.

If you setup Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the server machine, and tell it to share the Dial Up connection, it will setup DHCP on the wireless network. Then there isnt any configuring needed.

I have "allow other computers on the network to use this connection" enabled in the dial up connection, and when I setup the network, I set it to have all the computers connect through my main rig and not the router. My laptop sees an internet gateway, but it's disabled and has no specific name. Once I put in the settings I have listed above, then I sees it as "dial up access" and I can get online no problems.

What am I missing about the ICS here? Networking is definately my weakness.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out, I just had to change the DNS on the server to the router's net ID.

Last edited:
Install Tftpd32 on the system with the connection, it will handle DHCP much better than ICS ever though of, its what I use on my lan.

Back