• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cat5 maximum length

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

Alright, so CAT5's max recommended length is 100meters/328feet before risk of signal loss.

Bout to do a run and the preferred place where I am going to drop it is going to be at a little beyond that by the time it its a hub and then runs again. Prolly 125meters. 2 lines, one for voice and one for data.

Has anyone here with experience in long runs ever had serious issues with long CAT5 runs? And can the voice line utilize the hub to reboost the signal before it goes on its second leg since it is still CAT5? Or is another phone block needed? This is only going to be for about 6 people.

Thanks.

Hub in the middle will work, but don't exceed 100 meters for any one length without a repeater (any powered hub or switch will do). That includes the patch panel on the closet side and the patch cable on the PC side.

For home use, 125 would push it but it could work. Depends on how much you like your data. On the business side, 125 is unacceptable.

Hub in the middle will work, but don't exceed 100 meters for any one length without a repeater (any powered hub or switch will do). That includes the patch panel on the closet side and the patch cable on the PC side.

For home use, 125 would push it but it could work. Depends on how much you like your data. On the business side, 125 is unacceptable.

I agree with "Acid Rain". (That sounds strange... LOL)

When I used to work in Telecom, we did a few runs over 100 meters... But I heard later on they had minor problems after doing the end to end testing for impedance and stray signal hopping. 125 should be OK for the average user.

My old nortell 10/100 could go 140m without any loss, but it would kill not-so-hearty NICs it's plugged into.

I'd stay stick to =<120m.

We've got some runs just a little over 300 feet where I work and they are marginal. We were able to cut it down about 326 feet (that is what the cable tester said it was) which made it work better, but it is still not the greatest.

(Of course the place I work has large fields all over the place. I think there are over 100 motors that are over 30 HP there...cell phones don't stand a chance)

Its going to a hub for about a 120m and then another run for about 60m to its final hub. So since its going to get a boost twice, it should be okay right?

Its going to a hub for about a 120m and then another run for about 60m to its final hub. So since its going to get a boost twice, it should be okay right?

Standard is 100 meters max, first hub is 120. Chances are it will be flaky, since hub 1 can't transfer what it doesn't receive.

If it's that much of a concern, you could always run CAT6. It's designed for longer runs, but it is a bit pricier.

Also, this should be in Internet, Networking and Security. I've taken the liberty of moving it here.

oni, u sure that cat6 offers longer runs? I think its more the fact that it can get gigabit speed due to reduced crosstalk. I looked in a couple of places and they all said 100m max. Sure its thicker cable, and logically it should but I wouldn't want to steer stevelord in the wrong direction on this.

nick

the other option may be to try with STP (shielded) you will still have the issue of signal drop due to impedance but you will reduce any external interference further screwing up the signal.
Considering the low cost of a hub is it not possible to put another link in the chain so you have three 60m runs?

Don't know about that one. Haven't messed with voice lines much, other than running lines for preexisting setups. Voice may not need a repeater, so it may be worth while to see if you can bypass the hub for your voice line.

the other option may be to try with STP (shielded) you will still have the issue of signal drop due to impedance but you will reduce any external interference further screwing up the signal.

Not really going to help much. The distance limitation is due to the attenuation of the data from various forms of loss.

STP 5,5e,6 requires specialized connectors and termination equipment in addition to a fully functional ground system to place all devices at a low potential so that the noise can drain off.

Does a CAT5 voice line work through a hub?

I am unsure of your question.

Voice will not pass through the hub or switch. Trying to do so will probably fry the device when the telcos ring generator fires off.

Voice will pass just fine if it is packetized in the form of VoIP. :)

I'd just suggest you look at using a pair of wireless radios to link the two spots together.

My superiors are cheap....so lets keep the expensive and unrealistic and logical stuff out of this.

We have cable that comes into this building at the corner by a garage. The offices in the back where people reside, are 500ft away. Since we are using Cat5 to hold the voice for our PBX (not VOIP), does the limit of the Cat5's length come into play? And if so, would a hub boost a voice cable's signal like it would a data? If not, what kind of device would allow that?

Cat5 distance limits are for data.

Telephone being carried on Cat5 should not be subject to this distance limit (and will not work thru a hub and/or switch)

One solution would be to move your network location to a more central location. (meaning to move the demark for the dsl or cable broadband). That would allow your runs to be shorter.

Back