• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optimizing Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AsunaNegi

Registered
I've got a few questions. I'm trying to optimize my folding, but not sure how to do so. I've got an e6750 @3.2ghz. Should I run the SMP client or 2 normal clients? I'm also worried about heat. This thing runs at about 64C under load. Should I be worried about the heat? Thanks.

(Oh, and think I should get my old Xbox folding as well?)

64 is OK, but on the high side.

I'd run SMP even if I had to drop to 3.0 GHz to do so. Far greater ppd than 2 uniprocessor clients. 2200 ppd on SMP vs 450 ppd on non bonus uniprocessor WUs on your machine. Bonus WUs make it a bit closer.

Old Xboxes running Linux don't produce many ppd, but all the points count.

Alright, I've switched to SMP. I'm thinking of bringing my Xbox back up then :D

Also, ChasR, you are a god.

Should I switch my other dual-core to SMP? It's running Vista with 1gb, so I'm thinking no...

I would run smp any chance I get over the regular console verson or graphical client.

PPD is just to big of a difference not to.

SMP is the best way to go, but for Window's OS, it requires a constant connection to the net. Any break in the connection, and folding will instantly stop, and you may even lose work you've already completed.

With SMP, especially on Vista, you can't cut ANY corners during your installation process. You try, and you'll lose, period.

It's helpful if you have some experience with both the FAH client, and VIsta. As soon as you can read the installation FAQ on the download page (I would print it up), and understand exactly what they mean, then you're ready to go SMP.

Meter by meter, life is sweeter.

(Oh, and think I should get my old Xbox folding as well?)

I wouldn't. From a performance-per-watt standpoint it is not worth it. 24/7 folding on a PS3 (a vastly more powerful machine) is barely worth it compared to real computers that can run the SMP client.

If your electricity is free though...then yeah go ahead. :)

EDIT: for an idea of xbox ppd, I have two Dell Optiplex GX150s each running PIII-S 1.26 GHz processors, folding 24/7 and running ubuntu. According to FahMon, they consistently get between 45-55 ppd each on most WUs. Occasionally a bonus WU comes through the pipe on either of them and that machine can make up to 120 ppd on that particular unit. Each of these Dells has 256 MB of RAM, the original xbox is significantly less powerful than either of these in terms of processing power and total amount of RAM.

Last edited:
Well, my main reason not to run SMP on this other dual core is because it's got such a small amount of RAM, and it's used by my parents. I suppose if I could streamline this Computer's OS (get rid of programs unneeded and background tasks and such) I could run it.

As for Xbox Folding...

Ouch. Maybe it's best to just leave it off, if it would be getting less than 40ppd...

Back