• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5000 Black Box OCs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlabamaCajun

Brisbane 5000 Black Box Edtion
I just ordered one of these :santa: for my folding tower. I originally intended to populate those sockets with Phenoms but Phenoms are not compatible with those boards :cry:. For now, I'll use the fastest 2C CPUs I can get for AM2-.

The biggest "If" I see, is what speed can I achieve at 1.35V which is the max of the board or about 89Watts?

Updated: 1-19-08 Current Speed 208 x 14 - 2912 (reported as 2889 in CPUZ) at 1.375V.

CPU Code GAA9A 0736

Post your results in this thread for Brisbane Black Box only!

Last edited:
Hello this is my first post and I thought this post would be good as any to make myself known.
So hello to everyone.

Now I too just got a new X2 5000+ Black to make me a new HTPC.
Just wondering what motherboard you are going to use for your 5000+ B.E.?
What is a good Micro Atx Mobo for am2 that has solid caps and OC's good?
If there are none, when are the new ones coming out??
Thanks..

Conventional wisdom says you can hit 3GHz with a 5000+BE at stock voltage, above that there does seem to be a "luck of the draw" element going as to whether you get a really good processor that will do more.

I've got a 5000+BE running on an M2N32-SLI deluxe, and I can get around 3.1 GHz at stock voltage. With 1.55 Volts and a really good water loop, it's dead stable with Orthos at 3.35 GHz (water temp is 25°c, load temp is 39°c). There's not a thing I can do to get it stable under load at 3.4 GHz though.

:welcome:

I'll be running on a MATX ECS board RS485 which is limited with OC but I did pull as much as 2.7G out of a 3600X2 but stable at about 2650 with stock volts of 1.35V which seems to be the max for Brisbys. It's not a solid cap board but be on the lookout for some 7xx boards that will be solid capped and the potential good solid regulation. I've not seen any issues with getting power to the CPUs. What had been an issue is the lock at 250 on the CPU clock which make the Blackbox a great candidate. I'll boot it on win2k so I can play with it some before installing Unbuntu Linux.

Did some thinking while waiting for the chip and what I com up with for settings to maximize what the board will let it do.

Start with the 14 multi puts the ram divider at 7 so the numbers will work out as;
215*14 = 3010 / 7 = 430 or DDR2- 860. I've gotten these to 900 before on 1.95V so I have the room. The only problem may be the 1.35 max VCore. This is where I need to figure out what max OC will be. Anyone getting to 3G at 1.35V?

3G is doable on 1.35v. I never tested to see if this was completely stable, but was definitely able to boot and run OS.

Likewise, it took me 1.425v (bios) to run 222x14, for a shade over 3.1GHz, completely P95 & FAH stable. I thought I was gonna be good with 1.4v but the cpu needed the extra bump. 3.2GHz was just not stable @ 1.475 (bios) and I am not dumping another 0.075v or more on the chip for another 100MHz.

Stepping: CAA9G 0742CAD

Last edited:
I got 3.2Ghz at 1.425V stable at 16X200 with no problems myself. I'm personally hoping to hit 3.4 myself.

:eek: 1.325V stock 2600. Idle is 25C With Orthis going 30C. That is NICE.
I'll bring her up to 2800 tonight and see what happens. :drool:

Update!
Ok looking good at 2800 and 1.35V. Good news is I can go to 1.375 on the MOBO
trampoline.gif
and hope this little chip of wonder will do 3G at that voltage.

Last edited:
Update:
Nope, 2800 looked solid for about an hour left it on overnight and found it off this morning. I'm not sure but it acted like a power outage during the night where I had to off then on the PSU switch to get it to fire up.

Raised VCore to 1.375 and CPU at 2880 and left it testing through the day. I'll report what it gets. I was hoping it would walk right up to 3G at 1.35V.

Last edited:
A friend of mine is borrowing my spare M2N32-SLi with his new 5000BE, and with no prior overclocking experience, he his 3GHz no problem.
Yes they are nice CPUs for OC. On A super board I think we could see 3.4 but at what voltage is the question.

James, I'm not aware of any Pin mods since the XP days.

:eek: 1.325V for 2.6 ? So high ? My 5600+ needed 1.25 for 10X270 and that was a 90nm windsor.

That was underclocked since the 5600 is 2800 stock! The problem might be that I'm using a low end board. With a high end board it may be possible to reach 3G at 1.325 due to the tigher regulation. What happened with 65nm is leakage is more of a problem. When you crank up the speeds, it needs juice to makeup the losses. This might explain why at 2.2 you can run a G2 stepping Brisby at 1.25V but have to raise it to 1.325 to get 2.6 and each additional 100mhz you have to raise another .025.

I'm running stock speed at 36 and 42 (running Guild Wars in background while in Firefox) according to CoreTemp. I'm kinda ****ed because I bought what I thought has a good HSF (Zalman 9500A), and even running at stock speed it barely stays under upper 50's while running dual Prime95's. I think I didn't spread thermal grease (Artic Silver) evenly enough. I may re-apply it. :bang head I also have a bad mobo (Biostar TF7025) which doesn't allow me to change multiplier in BIOS (but I can in Windows). :bang head

That was underclocked since the 5600 is 2800 stock! The problem might be that I'm using a low end board. With a high end board it may be possible to reach 3G at 1.325 due to the tigher regulation. What happened with 65nm is leakage is more of a problem. When you crank up the speeds, it needs juice to makeup the losses. This might explain why at 2.2 you can run a G2 stepping Brisby at 1.25V but have to raise it to 1.325 to get 2.6 and each additional 100mhz you have to raise another .025.

Indeed it is underclocked but all I intended is to compare the two cores, and the 5600 is not even the best windsor has 6000+ 89W or 6400+.

2.2G with 1.25V is still not so fantastic if windsors could do 2.7G with that voltage, and as I recall 2.5G was possible with 1.75V.

Kuma comparison might be interesting a bit but too late for anyone with duals to switch to it.

I also have a bad mobo (Biostar TF7025) which doesn't allow me to change multiplier in BIOS (but I can in Windows). :bang head

What u talkin' bout? :D

The Biostar TF7025 mATX is a great mobo. Mine allows multi adjustments. I've got a 3600 G1 @ 2.9GHz in mine, granted I'm using the default 9.5 multi... I've had my 4400 Brisby in it and have moved the multi from it's default 11.5 just fine.

Ok, I just want to post this in here for the time being. I just set up a new system last night and am now running my stability/oc testings. I have the Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 and this lovely processor. My board says that it allows for a 24.5x mulitplier. Is this accurate? I'm currently running at "almost" 3ghz and during SuperPi, my temps are about 64-66F using CoreTemp.

Is this all about right or am I missing something? It just seems that it's running way too cool for the extra speed. Maybe I'm just used to the P4 days.

Oh, and when I run Prime95, I have the affinities set and am running the blend test but my temps barely go up. I made two directories and am running them at the same time.

And another thing: What temps should I back away from? I know there's going to be a variety of opinions but it's in my head that I shouldn't go over 90F.

Last edited:
fahrenheit not celsius right? if its 64-66C thats bad. are u sure that your coretemp is reading in Fahrenheit not celsius. you might want to check that. right now as we speak i have my CPU loaded at 106F. 90F is fine.

I'm positive that it's reading Farenheit because I set it to that from Celsius.

I just checked CPU-Z and it's only reading slot 1 of my RAM. No clue why. Computer properties state that I have 2 gigs.

*edit* ok, it's actually only showing that i have 1 stick in 1 slot. it does read under memory that i have 2.

Last edited:
Back