Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Playtesting Videogames, Need Advice

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 01-14-08, 10:41 PM Thread Starter   #1
Seven

Playtesting Videogames, Need Advice

Hey Guys,

So I've decided that since I'm into college and work is a little easier now, I'm going to look into a part time job. I could do retail, but I really don't want to have to work in a mall all day standing around and folding clothes. That said I was looking into doing QA (Quality Assurance, or playtesting) for some Los Angeles area videogame studios. I'm located right near West LA, so anything near there is pretty good.

As far as I know, the following are around here

Activision (the closest, and probably one of my favorites)
EA (a little bit further away, closer to LAX but this is still managable)
Blizzard (I love their games, but they're in Irvine which is pretty far)

I know there's also a few independent game studios.

I'm really looking to do this part-time, hopefully on weekends during the day. I'm not sure if anybody is looking for that or not, but I can also just wait until the summer and take on a full-time job during the day when I'm not in school.

If anybody has any advice, experience, or connections, please let me know.

Old 01-14-08, 11:04 PM   #2
Fr3@k3r

Location: (Lat 47 8' 22.1316")(Long -122 29' 52.9152") (Lakewood Wa)

Ive been doing playtesting for Microsoft for the past 2 years off and on.. maybe 6-7 times a year depending on if they qualify me for the sessions or not.

In my experience when you do write-ups be very thorough with what your explaining.. Also be very professional in your grammar and writing.

Ive also found that QA is alot more difficult than just regular old game testing. QA has alot more work requirement than Playtesting which useually only requires moderate write-ups and such.

Although QA should pay a good deal more than just playtesting, I would start off with playtesting first.

(HEATWARE)
Fr3@k3r is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 01-14-08, 11:19 PM   #3
Xenocide

Its a tough job, my uncle used to higher a few highschool / college students to do it out in Cali each year when he worked at 3DO. Offered for me to come out and do it, but I always refused. I can't sit and play video games all day every day.

Old 01-14-08, 11:20 PM Thread Starter   #4
Seven

Any advice on getting this job though, I feel like if I have a fair amount of experience in the industry, I'll be able to step up to producing games, and maybe (hopefully) my dream of being president of a company, although that's a long way off.

Do they work well with people who are part time? Or is it just more of a 9-5 actual serious job thing.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.