• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOLY HOT TEMPS??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Thermaltake Armor ATX Case modded
DFI T2R P35 with Transpiper
E6400 Conroe with D-Tek Fuzion CPU block
2GB Ballistix Tracer DDR2-8000 @ 2.2v
eVGA 8800GTX with EK Waterblock (full block) 576/1350/1800
SB X-Fi Fatal1ty
OCZ 600W
Bix2 Rad with 152CFM Deltas
D5 Pump

This system was running 3.64ghz, but just about a week ago I had a problem and wasn't sure if it was stable or not (def was the last time I primed), so I backed down to

So... things were great on my previous board until it was killed, so I went with this stupid (I repeat STUPID) Transpiper design. I hated it from day1... didn't even know what I was getting!! Anyway, my temps were low-mid 40s idle on my CPU... I knew that was high for my watercooling setup, but I just don't have the time to mess around.

Today I open up CORE TEMP for the hell of it... this was 5min after gaming for an hour with Team Fortress 2, so it should have been as idle as can be. My Deltas were set to about 5v, which probably pushes 40-50cfm... it used to always be fine that way.

So... one core was 60C and the other was 62-63C... something like that. Basically, I saw and panicked... all I saw was the 6 in the 10s place, so it could have been higher. IDLE temp!!!

The 8800GTX (which has YET TO BE OCed) has been running stock clocks since I've had it, on a FULL EK WATERBLOCK!! Idling at 52C!!??? I think ambient was 46-47C.

So ya I lost my mind... I don't wanna have to spend time OCing and tweaking anymore... at least for some months b/c my life is busy, but this I can't let slide.

I start touching around the motherboard to see what's wrong. My Ballistix are SCORCHING HOT... and they're at default 2.2v... they never felt THAT hot, especially while my system is idle. I touch the NB chipset, SCORCHING HOT! I touch the MOSFET heatsink and HOT, but I could keep my finger there for some time before letting go. Same with SB chipset. These were all definitely running way too hot, and the RAM and NB chipset were BURNING... I'm not exaggerating.

So... I crank up my fan controller and run my 2x120x38mm Deltas at full blast. I grab a high-cfm 92mm fan and crank it full blast... that 92mm is laying on the 8800gtx and blasting air onto the NB chipset and RAM.

My temps are not 37C one core and 41C on the other core. Smart Guardian CPU temp was showing about 50C before, and now shows 26-28C. PWM temp was really high (forget what it was), but now shows 38C. I wish I checked the Chipset temp before, man... it was definitely scorching... but now shows up as 36C. 8800gtx is now at 37-38C core, and 29-30C ambient.

I'm sure I can get my temps to drop a bit more of I remount everything, but that will take me a lot of time.

What could be causing this? I feel compelled to say it's the motherboard... I didn't think the case airflow was that bad in my case... the 2x deltas are INTAKE, and I have a 120mm exhaust, 92mm exhaust, OPEN VENT on top of case, and the PSU for exhaust.

Sry for long post, but I like to be descriptive.

P.S. My transpiper doesn't sit completely FLUSH... I have it at the back of my case and if you know the TT Armor case design, the PSU is not where the transpiper can meet up with its exhaust fan. I had to mount the transpiper on an angle in order to reach the PSU's exhaust fan. Here's a pic (I wonder if the transpiper not being flush with the MOSFET heatsink is the reason?):

Attachments

• DFI-T2R_Overheat2008_0114_235557.JPG
    DFI-T2R_Overheat2008_0114_235557.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,555
It could be pulling it off the board a little bit....you could use a hard mount method....

I don't think that would cause high temps though.

Anyone?

Do I need to replace my board or something?? I guess it sorta makes sense, but I don't fully understand why my 8800gtx (stock clocks) was running 52C idle on a full waterblock!!

Turning up the fans sky high brought idle temp down to 37C. I'm guessing the board running hot will affect the video card, but don't completely understand how that could affect the GPU temp... is it b/c the board running hot makes the CPU hot, which then raises the temperature in the liquid in the watercooling loop... thus making the liquid hotter and dissipating less heat from the GPU??

If your ambient is like 47c, 52c is fine, full covers ain't all that great anyway(not good expandablilty and ram adds more heat which could be ahdnled by some copper sinks.

If your ambient is like 47c, 52c is fine, full covers ain't all that great anyway(not good expandablilty and ram adds more heat which could be ahdnled by some copper sinks.

full covers?

I would mount an external AC fan on that heat sink....

Right now I have my 2x120 Deltas and the high-cfm 92mm fan down to probably 5-6v, and my temps are not bad @ all. I should def have cooler temps with my setup, but I'm at 44C core#1 and 41C Core#2 Idling right now on my 1.45vcore 3.6ghz e6400.

My stock clock 8800gtx (with full waterblock) gpu is at 39-40c idle, and 31c ambient.

Smart Guardian temps now:
CPU 31C, PWM 40C, Chipset 39C
These were all MUCH higher without this 92mm fan (check attached pic)

It's definitely the 92mm fan that made the difference. I have it pointed towards the NB chipset and the RAM, resting on my graphics card. Looks like this board runs way too hot, and I am not even cranking voltages! I may have to get a new board, but check the fan that made the difference!!
Check out the 92mm fan in the middle of the pic... it's black and between all the tubing.

Attachments

• DFI-T2R_Overheat2008_0115_202941.JPG
    DFI-T2R_Overheat2008_0115_202941.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,402
Is that the pump and radiator in that pic? 47C seems really high for a system ambient, espically for where you live. What is the room temperature at your residence?

Is that the pump and radiator in that pic? 47C seems really high for a system ambient, espically for where you live. What is the room temperature at your residence?

Room temp is fine... it's GOTTA be the board, man... Every other board I had never gave me temps this crappy with the setup I have. And again, right now EVERYTHING is back to how it was when it was heating up... EXCEPT the 92mm fan!! That 92mm fan is at 5-6v (12v rated) and that's all that made the difference... cooling the NB chipset and whatever else that covers (some RAM and some PWM I guess) is all it took!!

Weird, huh? It shouldn't have to take an EXTRA FAN to cool the motherboard.

Have you made any recent changes that could effect airflow? If that fan made that much of an impact it definitely looks like you had an airflow dead spot.

I've gone through a few mobos since I started out and I've never had, seen, or heard of a mobo heating up that much.

Have you made any recent changes that could effect airflow? If that fan made that much of an impact it definitely looks like you had an airflow dead spot.

I've gone through a few mobos since I started out and I've never had, seen, or heard of a mobo heating up that much.

I dunno, man... I haven't been OCing the machine much @ all... How could I have such a dead spot with two huge 120mm fans as intake low on the case, 2 exhaust fans up higher on the case, as well as the PSU as exhaust at the top of the case.... and on top of all of that, there are open vents at the top of the case whcih I'm sure some hot air seeps out of.

Like I said, the board was scorching hot, and so was my ram... SCORCHING on the NB chipset. I'm thinking of letting it go scorching hot again just for gits and shiggles... and I'll take screenies.

I don't want anything to, but I'll be fine with anything BUT my 8800gtx dying... just to find out.

Maybe I'll do it sometime later this week if not tomorrow.

The fact that adding a fan and increasing your existing case fans speeds means its got to be case ventillation of some sort. Call me crazy, but an ambient of 47c is really hot. You mentioned that you just got this mobo, maybe something was moved around that you overlooked? If possible, take a bunch of pix for us and we can all take a look at it.

What does hard mount mean... replace plastic pins with bolts? I think DFI has them bolted down as it is...

Hardmounting is using bolts as you just said. A lot of heatsinks use springs or other goofy methods of securing them down. I perosnally hardmount everthing. Has always proven better temps.

--pak

theres something messed up... the only thing i can think of is check to see if you water cooling is A) not pumping properly and B) see if its cloged anywhere blocking water flow..

you get about the same temps i get when im playing crysis LOL... i have my cpu over clocked a bit like 100MHz due to having a stock cooling system... and i dont get temps like that... you got a spair bord you can try your rig on... see if you get the same temps...

i would normaly say try it stock with all your stock GPU and CPU fans see if its a watter block problem... but i would not risk it if your rig is running that hot.

i have never seen a rig run that hot and im a noob OC er lol

The fact that adding a fan and increasing your existing case fans speeds means its got to be case ventillation of some sort. Call me crazy, but an ambient of 47c is really hot. You mentioned that you just got this mobo, maybe something was moved around that you overlooked? If possible, take a bunch of pix for us and we can all take a look at it.

Hardmounting is using bolts as you just said. A lot of heatsinks use springs or other goofy methods of securing them down. I perosnally hardmount everthing. Has always proven better temps.

--pak
I had increased the speed of existing fans, but then I decreased back to normal. the ONLY diff now is the added 92mm in the pic a few posts up... and that fan is running slower than normal @ 5-6v... that's IT... just cooling the NB chipset for the most part is what made the diff.
theres something messed up... the only thing i can think of is check to see if you water cooling is A) not pumping properly and B) see if its cloged anywhere blocking water flow..

you get about the same temps i get when im playing crysis LOL... i have my cpu over clocked a bit like 100MHz due to having a stock cooling system... and i dont get temps like that... you got a spair bord you can try your rig on... see if you get the same temps...

i would normaly say try it stock with all your stock GPU and CPU fans see if its a watter block problem... but i would not risk it if your rig is running that hot.

i have never seen a rig run that hot and im a noob OC er lol

Again, according to what I said to Pak's quote... that in the end the 92mm fan at slower speeds is what made the difference, I don't think anything is that messed up with the WC setup.

But... I did check the pump and listened to it... seems fine...

I'll have to let the system heat up again...

New thread, looking for cooling: Link

Last edited:
So I remount the entire CPU cooling by putting the thermaltake bracket under the motherboard and then mounting the D-Tek Fuzion... this should have netted better temps.

On top of that, I am using an e8400 on STOCK VOLTS.

On top of that, I brushed the Liquid Metal TIM very nicely and neatly... with my e6400 I hadn't brushed the TIM.

One would think that all three of these changes would yield much cooler temps, but noooo. I just don't get what's wrong with the picture... stock volts on water cooling and liquid metal TIM... what the heck!!! SmarGuadian 16c CPU, but core temp 45-47C idle??? In BIOS my CPU temp reads 15-18C, so I'm assuming SmartGuardian reads the same sensor, but does this mean core temp is right? I don't get how my temps are that bad with stock voltage on water cooling... anyone?

Attachments

• e8400-Temp.JPG
    e8400-Temp.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,099
Back