• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MacBook Air

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
looks nice, oh well i guess ill just have to get a $400 laptop for my studies cant afford anything like that, even though it would be handy

did you see the difference in price between the regular macbook air and the "upgraded" model? $1300 extra for: 200mhz and 64gb SSD

Seems a bit too expensive for what you get.

Like evrything Apple, it's over priced.

Sure it's "cool", because it's so thin. But it's nothing ground breaking. Any other manufacturer could make a thin laptop too, it's just most of them realize an optical drive is a good thing....

I would worry about performance. To acheive somethign that thin you have to give up something. Abviously heat would be a factor unless the CPU is running on low enough voltage to compensate. So it would probably be fair to surmise it's no real performer.

This just looks like an average if not below average computing solution wrapped up in a "cool" package. that will of course attract people with more money than brains.

Any other manufacturer could make a thin laptop too, it's just most of them realize an optical drive is a good thing

More importantly, most other manufacturers choose to squeeze an optical drive, ethernet port, card reader and expresscard slot into the same 3 pound weight as the Air. And, frankly, weight matters more in an ultraportable than an extra half inch in thickness.

I also notice that the ram on that thing is listed as being onboard. I suppose that means there's no chance of upgrading it. Funny, I thought all but the bottom-barrel cheapy stuff came with at least one RAM slot anymore. :rolleyes:

At least the claimed 5-hour battery life ain't bad, but I'm also curious as to the battery's replaceability.

Anyway... I wonder how many of those things I'm gonna see at the coffee shop this weekend.

More importantly, most other manufacturers choose to squeeze an optical drive, ethernet port, card reader and expresscard slot into the same 3 pound weight as the Air. And, frankly, weight matters more in an ultraportable than an extra half inch in thickness.

I also notice that the ram on that thing is listed as being onboard. I suppose that means there's no chance of upgrading it. Funny, I thought all but the bottom-barrel cheapy stuff came with at least one RAM slot anymore. :rolleyes:

At least the claimed 5-hour battery life ain't bad, but I'm also curious as to the battery's replaceability.

Anyway... I wonder how many of those things I'm gonna see at the coffee shop this weekend.
Its nice, a good try, but for its price its just not worth it. If it was the 1.8GHZ model, 64GB SSD, external super drive included then maybe, but a 1.8 inch HD for 1800$, no thanks. Nice try apple, good luck next time.

I'm also curious as to the battery's replaceability

Perhaps it's bad form to quote myself, but the issue has apparently been officially clarified. The battery will not be user replaceable, instead it costs $129 and a trip to an Apple service center.

Now, that'll prolly turn out to be similar to the "non-user-replaceable" battery in the iPod, whereby hundreds of blog pages will illustrate how to do it and hundreds of eBay auctions will sell the required batteries, but it's still a pretty lame move on Apple's part, regardless.

I don't think it's overpriced at all, look at sony's tz model:

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor U7600 (1.2GHz, 2MB L2 cache)
11.1" LCD with XBRITE-HiColor (1366x768)
48GB SSD
2GB RAM

$3,399.99

or

Intel Core™ 2 Duo Processor U7700 (1.33GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)
11.1" LCD XBRITE-HiColor (1366x768)
64GB SSD
2GB RAM

$3,699.99

SonyTZ1.jpg

My issue with it is that it gives the illusion of being thinner then it actually is. 0.7" thick in the real meat of the machine is not much of an improvement over the MacBooks, the 0.16" thinness is only around the outer edges.

It is a beautiful laptop though, and could be a sign that optical drives are on their way out (as music/movies/television march forward away from portable mediums and towards an entirely network-based "on demand" format).

No offense to apple, but they haven't done anything in the least bit innovative, except for maybe the multi-touch, but that still comes off as more of a Wii-style gimick than anything else.

Its not the thinnest, although it may be the thinnest shipping (real thinnest)

And Thinkpad X-series (and countless other ultraportables) have had no optical drives forever

It is purty though

I still say it's typical Apple, all hype, no substance. Pay ou tthe nose for something "cool" just for the sake of saying, "I own something cool".

It will be marketed with apples typical disinformation campaign, and dumb people with money will buy it.

Just been thinking, my old x61 was the same weight, considerably faster in several ways, more secure, and a full thousand dollars cheaper.

The only things the Air has going for it are looks and the multi-touch thing

I sort of like it, but the battery and price kill the deal imo. I have a Compaq M300 that I'm probably going to sell soon and it's almost as small while being much older. Full magnesium alloy case too. If I could find a comparable new laptop, I'd love it.

I still say it's typical Apple, all hype, no substance. Pay ou tthe nose for something "cool" just for the sake of saying, "I own something cool".

It will be marketed with apples typical disinformation campaign, and dumb people with money will buy it.

QFT

Yeah. Everyone that buys a mac is loaded with cash and dumb :rolleyes:

Some people just like the OS more. It might not be the OS for everyone, but some people do enjoy it and prefer it to the other alternatives.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was wow, that looks kinda neat, but it's nothing new. It's appearance is impressive, that's about where it stopped. However, I bet it'll be marketed a lot more than the other ultraportables though and from the marketing given the appearance of it being new and all that jazz even though it's not. People gotta make their money somehow

Back