• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAIDing a 7200.11 and a Raptor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

So I just read a review of the 7200.11 vs the Raptor and came away intrigued...the Barracuda destroyed the Raptor in some tests, while the Raptor took the crown in others. So what if you RAIDed the two? Could you effectively get the advantages of both drives at the same time?

Nope. It would have the seek times of the slower drive and the transfer rate of the slowest drive....just like memory ;)

You can't.

The latencies are different. Plus you can't raid different sized disks, unless you do JBOD.

You could probably do RAID via the OS, but I think it would fail soon, as the latencies are way off.

You can't.

The latencies are different. Plus you can't raid different sized disks, unless you do JBOD.

You could probably do RAID via the OS, but I think it would fail soon, as the latencies are way off.

WRONG

you can raid 2 completely different disk's no problem. Your problem is you will be limited by the smallest and slowest disk... IE if you raided a 7200.11 500gb seagate and a 74gb (8mb chache raptor)

You would be limited by the raptors space (74 gb) thus loosing 426gb of the seagate, you would also be limited by the older raptors average STR (~65MB/s on the raptor VS the 87MB/s on the .11). And then you would be limited by the random access time of the 7200.11 (~13ms vs the raptors 8)

In other words you can. but your only as fast or as strong as your weakest link.

WRONG

you can raid 2 completely different disk's no problem. Your problem is you will be limited by the smallest and slowest disk... IE if you raided a 7200.11 500gb seagate and a 74gb (8mb chache raptor)

You would be limited by the raptors space (74 gb) thus loosing 426gb of the seagate, you would also be limited by the older raptors average STR (~65MB/s on the raptor VS the 87MB/s on the .11). And then you would be limited by the random access time of the 7200.11 (~13ms vs the raptors 8)

In other words you can. but your only as fast or as strong as your weakest link.
Yup yup :D

Basically, you lose a lot of space and speed....

I ran a 100 and 160 in a raid0 and got horrible performance. If it was loading from the drive during a game, I'd be less than 1 frame a second, it was horrible.

WRONG

What RAID controller can do this?

I dont know of any that cant.

ya same here... if you can hook the drive to the controler then you can raid the drive. i mean if i bought a PATA raid controler i could plug in a 1998 10gb Maxtor and a 7200.10 750gb seagate and raid them.

My AW9D-MAX with a ICH7R southbridge did it no problem.

Hmmm... Ok. AS my rule, I would never connect slower technology to faster technology, ever. Soon or later you'll have a problem...

But that is good to know (no useful for me) to tell people that matrix RAID can do the impossible.

Now are we talking RAID 0? or Mirroring? or both?

Hmmm... Ok. AS my rule, I would never connect slower technology to faster technology, ever. Soon or later you'll have a problem...

But that is good to know (no useful for me) to tell people that matrix RAID can do the impossible.

Now are we talking RAID 0? or Mirroring? or both?

Any. This has been possible since RAID controllers have been available. My old ATA66 Highpoint controllers could even do this.

The controller doesn't care about the size of the disks. It will make a virtual volume (using the RAID type specified) out of the space from all volumes respective to the smallest drive available.

80GB + 160GB RAID 0 = 160GB total space
80GB + 160GB mirrored = 80GB total mirrored space
80GB + 160GB + 200GB RAID5 = 160GB total usable space + 80GB parity

...on and on.

Any. This has been possible since RAID controllers have been available. My old ATA66 Highpoint controllers could even do this.

The controller doesn't care about the size of the disks. It will make a virtual volume (using the RAID type specified) out of the space from all volumes respective to the smallest drive available.

80GB + 160GB RAID 0 = 160GB total space
80GB + 160GB mirrored = 80GB total mirrored space
80GB + 160GB + 200GB RAID5 = 160GB total usable space + 80GB parity

...on and on.

Well that makes sense. Both are same type drives (7200 RPM). The OP said a raptor (10K RPM) and a baracuda (7200 RPM), and raid those two. I don't think it would be wise to do this... That what I said no too..

The latencies are way to different and will cause data corruption and the RAID will break.

EDIT:

I Have a system here with 2 WD 80 gig drives, and 2 150 gig raptors... I'll do a test on the ICH7R controller...

Back