• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3870 killed onboard sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

I jut got my 3870 today and installed it in the board in my sig. After doing the hardware and software install (from disk since it had 7.11 and 7.12 messes with colors) I completely lost on board sound coming from the motherboard. My question to you all is if the ATI HD sound thing has hijacked my sound and made it the primary device or something. Or how can I go about getting sound back up? Nothing is muted.

In both XP and Vista, there's a Sounds and Notifications control panel -- ensure all "playback" devices are your onboard sound. That's likely what has changed.

TY sir that was the problem. I do have another quick question though. Since ATI says they have HD sound, how do you use it? I mean last time I checked DVI does not carry sound so applying the DVI->HDMI converter is not going to provide sound. Anyone know?

The DVI -> HDMI converter actually will provide sound if you use it. That's the only way it will work, and of course, the sound will only come through when watching BR / HDDVD movies.

Back