• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Overclock: some memory questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fleeting

Hi all,

I just installed a new board (Evga 680i Lt) and have ramped my old E6300 up to 2.9 ish Ghz. I'm running a pair of Corsair Value Ram 667 (2x1gb (vs1gb667d2)) and I have a few questions about overclocking them. The Nvidia chipset lets me clock them entirely separately. So, my FSB is currently at 412/ 1650. My timings are stock at 5-5-5-15. Now here's the tricky part. in the BIOS I requested a frequency of 820 mhz. But it reports my current speed at 773mhz. CPU-Z tells me my ram are running at 386.7MHz (which is half of the bios speed, which makes sense). So, why won't my ram clock up? I've bumped the voltage to 2.0 from 1.8... are the sticks just incapable of going higher? The system seems stable (did an hour of Orthos with no problems) ... what am I doing wrong?
Also, my FSB to DRAM ratio is 16:15 - should I strive to get this to 1:1... I heard it's not that important on Intel chips, but since I'm so close.. ?
Last question - would it be worth upgrading to a lower timing 800 Mhz RAM for better oc's? I'm willing to spend if it'll give me a noticiable performance boost..

Thanks for reading, and for any advice!

If you cant get the speed up to 800, try to tighten the timings. Your gains will be just as good. Also, you can try using the linked and synced option on the 680i, and lower your fsb to 400. See if that does anything.

Back