• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob needs help w/ Athlon XP-M 2800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tigermonkey

Heya,

Trying to get the last gasp out of an old system I game on. So after a bunch of reading on your forums I picked up an XP-M with the intent of overclocking it.

I am using an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MOBO rev 2.0 with bios 1.07.

Pulled the 2600+ off the board and dropped in the new CPU and the system is locking up during windows boot up. Tried safe mode same result (gets to some file named yadayadamups.yada). Went into the Bios and choose very safe settings. Nada.

Pulled the 2800+ dropped the 2600+ back in and everything is rosy.

So, is the XP-M CPU likely DOA?

Thanks in Advance, TMonkey

I doubt that your cpu is bad. Swapping cpus without a fresh install of your operating system and drivers usually will cause some type of problems. This has happened to me a number of times in the past. Your best bet is to backup all of your important files with the 2600+ and reformat and reinstall with the 2800+. If you pop in a windows xp cd and boot from that into windows setup successfully your cpu is probably fine. Though, if your 2600+ is an XP-M barton core, that should overclock just as well as the 2800+. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the 2600+ Barton's are the best socket A overclockers.

Try resetting the BIOS when you install the mobile. The BIOS will probably then boot it at the lowest multiplier, though it might recognize it and set it to default. You will, of course, have to set the multiplier manually to overclock it.

I doubt that your cpu is bad. Swapping cpus without a fresh install of your operating system and drivers usually will cause some type of problems. This has happened to me a number of times in the past. Your best bet is to backup all of your important files with the 2600+ and reformat and reinstall with the 2800+. If you pop in a windows xp cd and boot from that into windows setup successfully your cpu is probably fine. Though, if your 2600+ is an XP-M barton core, that should overclock just as well as the 2800+. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the 2600+ Barton's are the best socket A overclockers.

XP-M 2600+'s were the best Socket A overclockers.

I doubt that your cpu is bad. Swapping cpus without a fresh install of your operating system and drivers usually will cause some type of problems.

Not if you're just moving to a processor in the same family that's only a couple hundred mhz faster. That's basically the same thing as overclocking his old cpu, is it not? The only time you have to reload when overclocking is when you screw your registry and have system restore turned off. :santa:

Not if you're just moving to a processor in the same family that's only a couple hundred mhz faster. That's basically the same thing as overclocking his old cpu, is it not? The only time you have to reload when overclocking is when you screw your registry and have system restore turned off. :santa:

Good point. Maybe his 2800+ was not a barton? That might make a difference. I have a 2800+ that is a thoroughbred B and it is higher voltage and higher clock than its barton brother.

Good point. Maybe his 2800+ was not a barton? That might make a difference. I have a 2800+ that is a thoroughbred B and it is higher voltage and higher clock than its barton brother.

Usually the only time you'd have to reload(and a repair would work fine) is when moving from intel to amd. A lot of times, windows will install the "intel ppm" driver, which will not boot except into safe mode when you switch to an amd cpu. The only other issue with a cpu swap is moving to dual core, which requires the smp hal be installed. Normally windows will install this for you, in other cases it's pretty simple to install it yourself. In the rare event that the wrong hal was used to begin with(standard pc, or something like that) then a windows repair is usually all that's required to get the right one installed.

Hello Again,

Thanks for all the replies. But no luck yet...

The processor is a AXMJ2800FHQ4C. Which, if I have my numbers right means a barton core XP-M.

Tried a repair that to my noobish self looked to be working but the system hung on reboot.

Put a clean drive in the machine and tried a clean install of the OS on that drive. System hung on the first reboot after the partioning and the initial file installation.

Powered it down and back up...
Got "Set-up is restarting...", Window XP splash screen, the install screen at the preparing files point. The happy little status dot in the lower right went round about three times and then it hung again. Poo.

The 2600+ I am replacing is a Thoroughbred B, AXDA2600DKV3D.

Just to reiterate:

Athlon XP-M 2800+
Asus A7n8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 Bios 1.07 (btw, i pulled the battery and reset the bios back to defaults)

Like I said in the OP, wondering about a DOA. Any other ideas? I want to let the guy know about the DOA quick (if that is what it is) so I get as little grief as possible.

Thanks Again, TMonkey

Last edited:
Back