• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faulty rams ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

starchazer

Hey everyone

I am new here .. so a BIG hii to all my new friends here at OCF :)

I've recently build my new machine .. here is the config

Q6600 (B3)
Thermal right ultra 120extreme
p5n e sli
8800gt 512mb
HX620 Corsair PSU

And 4gb (2x2gb) patriot ram.

Now the thing is .. the day since i build this machine .. i am constantly getting BSODs.

At first i thought it is something related to the OS which is XP 64bit but when i tested the rams in memtest i got nemerous errors.

I also get to know that patriot rams are not qualified rams in the ASUS list.

So i want to know are my rams really faulty ? or is this some compatibility issue ?

When i test the rams individually .. they sometimes passes the test without any errors and sometimes the same ram fails.

But whenever i test them together i get errors no matter what.

I dint change any settings in the BIOS.

For the past few days i am using 1gb transcend 667mhz ram and my system is really stable since then.

So please suggest & guide me what i should do.

^ I've already memtested them .. but i am still not sure if the rams are faulty or it a compatibility issue.

If the memtest is not constant, I think it's safe to say that the kit is faulty. Testing them out on some other mobos will help to assure though, I reckon.

Generally, I believe that if you have a compatibility issue, you would not even POST. You would be more likely to get some kind of beep code. Atleast most of the mobo's I have worked with have given me a beep code if the RAM was incompatible. If you have the rig running for the time being, I would try the Patriot in another mobo, and if you get the same thing, I would get an RMA for it. Patriot has been one of my favorite brands for quite some time. I really love the Lifetime Warranty. I don't think it covers over volting though.

Back