• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to start folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uberwoot

Ok so i know how to set it all up and what not but i would like to know how fast could i crank out WU's with my Q6600 at 4ghz?

I hope you've got the SMP client setup, if not we'll get you fixed up... in either Linux or Windows you should crank out at least 2 WUs+ a day @ 4.0GHz.

And :welcome: to the Team uberwoot! New guy stocks the fridge. :beer:

He needs to do the 2 vmware with ubuntu....

I mean it sure would be nice to start of folding with 4000ppd off the ripe...

One step at a time jon... that setup can be a little bit frustrating to the beginner Folder. :D

Let's let him get familiar with the client first. ;)

lol really I still don't have it completely figured out.

GL

Ok so i know how to set it all up and what not but i would like to know how fast could i crank out WU's with my Q6600 at 4ghz?

in native WinSMP, I would say 'bout 3700~3900ppd depends on your memory speed.

but if you do Window + 2VMware/LinuxSMP, I would say it will make close to 5000ppd (ChasR might have more accurate number)!! :eek:

btw, :welcome: to the team!!

Ok im pretty shure i could set up 2VMware/LinuxSMP so im going to try that one first. I probly wont be able to get it all up and running untill friday due to how much i work but i'll try to get it up as fast as i can to help out the team even tho it wont be that much.

Welcome to the team, Uberwoot!

We are uber happy to have you with us on the forum, and folding on the team, as well. :beer:

your points on a single WINSMP client will probably be more then my avg PPD atm

Welcome and glad you came to help.

Be prepared to find out your OC won't fold at that speed. I hope it does cause your quad will be a huge asset to team 32...just don't be surprised that what was stable for gaming may not be under folding.

Best luck.:beer: and:welcome:

at 4ghz im 48 hour prime stable on all cores so folding shouldent be a problem at that clock.

Im getting another rig up and running some time next week or the week after that. Probly a E4500 rig that i will use for everyday use and i'll have this quad fold 24/7 for about a month or 2 untill the new yorkfeilds come out.

but if you do Window + 2VMware/LinuxSMP, I would say it will make close to 5000ppd (ChasR might have more accurate number)!! :eek:

BAR rig is setup that way...we'll see how it does (though it's not clocked at 4ghz :drool: )

at 4ghz im 48 hour prime stable on all cores so folding shouldent be a problem at that clock.

you would think.

The SMP client can put your system in a bind if your overclock just alittle out of the stability range.

BAR rig is setup that way...we'll see how it does (though it's not clocked at 4ghz :drool: )

Q6600 @ 3.0....I was running two Ubuntu VMs and tried a WinSMP? Waited 60 minutes and still hadn't completed a frame, so maybe that's not such a great idea.

lol yea I noticed the same thing the other day.

I think the best route is either of the 2.

1 x winsmp
1 x vmware ubuntu smp

or just 2 x vmware ubuntu smp.

I havn't had a issue with the 1st config but the second is giving me problems as the stability of this crap cpu is hard to find :D

lol yea I noticed the same thing the other day.

I think the best route is either of the 2.

1 x winsmp
1 x vmware ubuntu smp

or just 2 x vmware ubuntu smp.

I havn't had a issue with the 1st config but the second is giving me problems as the stability of this crap cpu is hard to find :D

Two VMs on a quad is definitely better than one instance of winsmp. Right now BAR is getting 4200 PPD @ 3.0ghz, so I know it'll do better the higher it clocks. PLUS, the ram I bought should go to tighter timings which will help as well.

Back