• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Free Site Should I Use to Create My Own Website - Freewebs.com?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

I am fairly new to building my own website and recently found freewebs.com.

Is anyone else using this site? Or, are there better free alternatives out there?

I want to use my site for providing information and instruction and displaying a few items for sale.

Thanks

Selling things -> Craigslist/eBay

Freewebs is okay, there's quite a few.

Try x10 hosting

OR... just make your own web server.

Selling things -> Craigslist/eBay

Right, for selling I use CL, eBay, backpage.com, and Google Base. I just want my site to include the items for sale that relate to the information and instruction it provides.

Freewebs is okay, there's quite a few.

This is pretty much why I started this thread. I am hoping to get input from those who use a free site like freewebs.com to create their own site.

Try x10 hosting

x10 Hosting does not look like it's free, and at a glance it does not look very user friendly or easy to use.

OR... just make your own web server.

I'm looking for a free and easy solution. For my needs I suspect a free and easy service will be more than adequate. And so I see no need to invest the time and expense in setting up and maintaining a server.

Thanks, JamesXP, for your suggestions.

You can look into THIS as an option, I haven't looked it over in detail yet but I'm considering it myself. As far as a domain name I think thats going to cost you no matter where you go, but for $10./year thats not bad.

You can look into THIS as an option, I haven't looked it over in detail yet but I'm considering it myself.

That one's not free either - $9.95 / year for a domain name. Not knocking it - I just know of no benefit of using it for $9.95 over a totally free service.

As far as a domain name I think thats going to cost you no matter where you go, but for $10./year thats not bad.

Freewebs.com assigns a name for free so its service is totally free. And I agree $10 / year is not bad at all, although I have seen them for a little less. I would consider paying for use of a domain name IF there was some benefit in doing so that I considered worthwhile over using a totally free service.

Thanks, dylskee, for your suggestions.

Last edited:

As far as I can tell, x10 Hosting requires you to pay for a domain name or pay to have one transferred. Here's a post from their forum about this.

This free.

www.w3schools.org too. (learn little giblets of HTML)

That site sure does not look anything like user friendly or easy to use, and I even know basic HTML. And it is stated on that site that the domain may be for sale by its owner.

HERE

I use this for the last 3+years, no ads, the plan are very generous. It is pay by post tho, it is not that bad.

And so it is not a free service.

After 5 minutes or so of reading the main site and the forum, I was only able to determine the level of service you get and its cost depends on the number of posts you make. I was not able to find the cost of any level of service.

Thanks, cliffboss, for your suggestion.

Get your own domain...

www.freedomains.co.nr

A free domain name is of no use to me. These "free" sites still would charge annually for use of my previously acquired free domain.

And you can get a free subdomain with bravehost... ????

http://jamesradio.bravehost.com/ < one of my subdomains.

I did not find mention of a free subdomain in the few minutes I looked over bravehost.com earlier. Looking through the sites suggested so far has been a researching battle to find the details of their "free" services.

So bravehost.com can be used totally free with a free subdomain? If so, then I can now compare it to freewebs.com. I am fairly certain freewebs.com provides a free subdomain as well, but not a free domain name.

Not many places give you a free domain... not normal ones anyway....

there's .tk, .co.nr, .co....?

but not .com .us or anything ismiliar.

Not many places give you a free domain... not normal ones anyway....

there's .tk, .co.nr, .co....?

but not .com .us or anything ismiliar.

Yes, from what research I've done, it looks like domain names are not free for the taking and can't be used anywhere for free. And, it seems like there may be very few sites that are truly free and provide a subdomain name like freewebs.com.

Thanks, JamesXP, for your help.

Back