• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4c800-e deluxe about to get kicked across the room

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jblindy

Registered
My wifes computer is a p4c800-e deluxe. I built it for her about three years ago. It's got an evga 7800gs, 512mb x 2 sticks corsair twinx xms3200, tt volcano hsf, a 3.2 northwood, and other irrelevant stuff.

I've got the cpu oc'ed to 3.6 with a fsb of 225 which has been running care free and extremely stable 24/7 for the past three years.

Well she wanted me to install vista because she likes the way it looks (hey, it's her computer, if she wants it she gets it). I installed it to dual boot early this summer and everything has been cool

Anyway, the 1 gig of ram wasn't cutting it so I ordered another pair of twinx corsair mem, 512mb x 2. The only difference between these and the original is that these are 3200LL whereas the original sticks are 3200C2PT.

Now to the problem. No matter what I do, I can't get this damn thing to post with all four sticks in. It's just 2 gig fcol! It posts with either set installed. I've tried using both sets of banks on the mobo and as long as I have just two sticks installed it posts. As soon as I put all four sticks in, this board just flat out refuses to post.

I even put all settings back to default, still no luck.

The batteries in my camera are dead so I'll post what settings I have in bios and what they are set to right now.

In advanced settings:

jumperfree configuration

• fsb 225 (multiplier of 16)
  • Dram frequency - 400mhz (options are 266, 320, 400, auto)
  • agp/pci frequency - auto (options are 66.66, 72.73, 80.00, auto)
  • vcore - 1.6500v
  • vdimm - 2.75v (max of 2.85v)(factory default for ram is 2.75v)
  • agp vddq voltage? - 1.5v
  • performance mode - standard

cpu configuration

• cpuid max value limit - disabled
  • hyperthreading technology - enabled

chipset

• spd -disabled
  • timings are set at the loosest possible 3-4-4-8
  • performance acceleration mode - auto (options are auto or enabled)
  • dram idle timer - auto ( options are infinite, 0T, 8T, 16T, 64T, auto)
  • dram refresh rate - auto (options are 15.6 usec, 7.8 usec, 64 usec, 64T, or auto)
  • spread spectrum - disabled
  • ich delayed transaction - disabled

These are the relevant settings available in bios as far as I am aware.

Could somebody please help me out?

I have the board b4 yours but the same still probably applies

1/ make sure you put the matching pairs of ram in the correct slots... download the manual and have a look... it will be 1,3/2,4 or 1,2/3,4

2/ set memory the timings (CAS etc) to the slowest sticks settings if they are diffferent specs (type in the chip numbers in google to find out)
edit:
3200LL 2-3-2-6
3200C2PT 2-3-3-6
so... 2-3-3-6
PC3200 normally runs at 3-3-3-8 for a standard Hynix Chip @200MHz so try that.
I imagine they would run at 2-2-2-5 though

3/ change the bios setting to turn off fast post or fast boot or
whatever it is called to test the ram.. if it boots have a look with a program called CPUz and a memory intensive program or something.

If your computer boots it should say "DUAL CHANNEL" on the first screen or something similar near the cpu info. For dual channel to work you probably need matching pairs, which is what you have, they just need the correct slots. Dual channel is cool, it is effectively the same as DDR2.

Last edited:
Don't kick it across the room. :p That board goes for up to $100 on ebay still.

I still have one from almost 5 years ago.

Back