• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No audio but do have video with Xbox 360 and Live

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

I have a problem that I cannot find the answer for. I run my console through a 24" lcd with the audio to my computer via toslink into my X-Fi via the front control panel. This setup works great for games and everything on Live EXCEPT for any downloaded video, whether TV show, trailer, or movie. With these I get the video but no audio at all. Thinking it must be a codec issue I have already tried adding the K-Lite codec pack but still get no audio. I posted this in the console forum but got no replies. I have even tried the Xbox.com forums and no answers there either. Anyone here have any suggestions?

I have a problem that I cannot find the answer for. I run my console through a 24" lcd with the audio to my computer via toslink into my X-Fi via the front control panel. This setup works great for games and everything on Live EXCEPT for any downloaded video, whether TV show, trailer, or movie. With these I get the video but no audio at all. Thinking it must be a codec issue I have already tried adding the K-Lite codec pack but still get no audio. I posted this in the console forum but got no replies. I have even tried the Xbox.com forums and no answers there either. Anyone here have any suggestions?

My guess would be the Xbox360 does not handle the imbedded PCM stream from the video. Try using the RCA out from the Xbox360 to see if you're getting any sound at all. If you do get sound then it's definitely the PCM decoding issue via the digital out. Likely a DRM block.

I thought about the DRM thing but that is Vista only, isn't it? I get the same thing in XP. I will try to fine my rca extension cable and try that and see if it makes a difference. I did run across a post on Xbox.com from a guy that has the same issue and it only started after the Fall update. I know it has me baffled, I would think that audio out of the console would be the same no matter what the source into the console was.

I thought about the DRM thing but that is Vista only, isn't it? I get the same thing in XP. I will try to fine my rca extension cable and try that and see if it makes a difference. I did run across a post on Xbox.com from a guy that has the same issue and it only started after the Fall update. I know it has me baffled, I would think that audio out of the console would be the same no matter what the source into the console was.

Digital inputs/outputs are heavily filtered by DRM and is not OS dependent. It's built-in into the interface (e.g. HDMI). Analog, not so much.

Back