• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noobie questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

ok so i went to the web page and downloaded the text-only console version. now how and where should the credit(s) be going? i dont really understand everything on how it works.
can i get a little help on setting everything up right plz.

I have to go to bed but you want the winsmp version with your cpu at that clock you shouldn't have a problem putting out 2k ppd or there abouts...

Windows 2000/XP/Vista SMP client console version

follow the instructions and be sure to get the .net stuff from M$

Code:
Windows Installation Instructions (Console)

Installation instructions are also included with the client download in a readme.rtf file.

Note: The account under which the client runs MUST have a password. Blank passwords will cause the FAH cores to fail.

1. Required component for XP & 2000 (not Vista, it is built in): The Windows SMP client requires the Microsoft .NET framework v2.0; please install this prior to installing the client. The version 2.0 framework is required; it can co-exist with other versions, but this version must be installed. It can be obtained from Microsoft at the following URL: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en. Administrator privileges are required for installation.
   2. Unpack files. Run the self-extracting installer to unpack the SMP client files.
   3. Client installation. Run install.bat from within the SMP install directory to complete the installation. This will install MPI services that the client needs. If you have Windows Firewall enabled, you may get a pop-up window asking if you should give access to the smpd and mpiexec programs. Grant access. If you use an alternate firewall product, you will likely have to make a similar exception for smpd. 

NOTE The username and password you provide for mpiexec should be your Windows login that you will run the client under. This is used for authentication on your local machine. It is cached in encrypted form in your Registry and is not transmitted to FAH servers. And if you change your password, you will need to run install.bat again.

At the end of the install process, you should see two lines of output:

If you see this twice, MPI is working
 If you see this twice, MPI is working

If you do not see these lines, do not start the client. MPI is not successfully installed, and the client will not run successfully.

1. Run the client: 

Run fah.exe to start the SMP client. You will get another pop-up firewall window. Note: We do not officially support running the SMP client as a service, although people have found the following to work

* .NET 2.0 & Windows SMP Client must be installed from the same account with full administrator privileges.
    * using the -configonly flag, say "yes" to services question & configure everything else as you normally would. Do not start the client yet.
    * Open the services control pannel, go to the new FAH WinSMP service & open the properties and click the Log On tab. Select Log On As: This Account (instead of Local System Account), put the user name for the account under which .NET 2.0 and the SMP client were installed. Enter the password.
    * Reboot. The SMP client will automatically start in service mode. 

See the forum link for more details.

* Troubleshooting: 

If the client reports an error code -1, it is likely due to an MPI problem. Try re-registering mpiexec by running mpiexec –register or install.bat.

If the client fails to start, and the fahlog.ext shows a CoreStatus = 63 (99) error, that is a permissions problem, or a MPI registration problem, or both. To correct this, set the properties of the fah.exe file to "Run as Administrator" and then run the "install.bat" file again to register MPI and the SMPD service.

* Windows Vista and SMP 

Windows Vista has additional security features not found in previous versions of Windows. In certain situations, these security features might interfere with the installation and/or operation of the SMP Windows client. Please see the FAH WIKI: Vista and SMP page for installation and troubleshooting assistance.

taken from http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP

Last edited:
yes and then whatever user name you decide :D

jonspd

would work great lol

ok so its hank and then i put in team 32 in the dos console. did i do that right? also i down loaded that thing it told me to from Microsoft.

ya i think i got the windoes installer 3.0 it was in that link u put up right?

and i dont see my name hank.
i want to make sure i fold for 32. gives me a good reason to leave the computer on.

lol

Yea just once the WU finishes and is sent check stanfords site I linked for our team. Some times it can take alittle longer then others for stanford to update, then EOC only does it every 3 hours I think.

It can take up to 5 hours after your finish a WU, before it shows up on EOC's stats pages. I just checked, and you're not on their list, yet.

It can take up to 2 hours before your work shows up at Stanford's results page.

Until the first WU is finished and sent in, neither Stanford nor EOC stats, will have you listed.

But we'll leave a light on for ya. :)

:welcome: hank... nice to see you drop in over here, think I've been seeing you over in the AMD cpu forum. That thread about Folding over in the AMD section didn't get ya interested did it? :D

:welcome: hank... nice to see you drop in over here, think I've been seeing you over in the AMD cpu forum. That thread about Folding over in the AMD section didn't get ya interested did it? :D

HELL YES!

:welcome: Glad you joined us here. Theres a fridge around here so grab a :beer: or :soda: and Fold!

i thought u had some coonass shine not the :soda: lol

hey y am i not showing up on team 32 in the stats folding home thingy?
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=32

Have you finished a WU yet?

you did put 32 for the team?

O you have to have a rank of 1000 or less (34K points I think) to show up on that page :D

durnit there updating

Which client did you download and install?

This one? -> http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/release/FAH504-Console.exe

If so that's just fine... it's the single core client so it will only use 50% of your total cpu horsepower. What you need to do is install a second copy in another folder and setup it up like to did the first, except when the setup asks for machineid it needs to be set to 2.

Example:

\Program Files\FAH1 - machineid=1
\Program Files\FAH2 - machineid=2

Be sure to answer "yes" to the question asking if you would like to setup advanced options, that's where you'll find the machineid setting. Also, it's a good idea to setup for big WUs and set the checkpoint at the maximum 30.

Here's a screenshot of how I would setup client #1 for me. The only thing I would change to #2 is the last option, setting it to 2.

504_Client_Setup.jpg

Thats the console version you want the smp console version.

Windows 2000/XP/Vista SMP client console version 5.91 beta

i dont think i have it set up right.

can u help me plz.

To change from the one-core console client, to the multi-core console client:

1) Right click on Fah.exe, and select "Create Shortcut". Now select the shortcut, right click on it, and select "Properties".

2) At the "Target" line, go to the very end, OUTSIDE the double quotation marks, and add -pause (one space, one hyphen, no space, and the single word pause. Save that change and close the properties page.

3) Stop the current client by selecting it's window and pressing Ctrl-C.

4) Now re-start the fah.exe program, by double clicking on the new shortcut we just made. When the current WU is done folding, it will be sent, but then the client will pause, your FIRST keystroke should be Ctrl-c, to shut it down. Any other key and it starts folding again, on a new WU.

Now's the time to visit Stanford's d/l page, and read the Windows SMP console instructions (look for the big blue and white question mark, next to the download link for it).

Read it well, because I may forget something, here. :eek: Know right off that you can NOT cut corner's when installing this client. Seems like most of us have tried, at some time or other - never works. :D

Your system probably has the ".Net" framework on it. MS has a site to tell you if it's there, and if it's up to date. I'll get that url for you, in a minute. Your system should have the current patches (updates) installed first.

Here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en

Your Windows Control Panel >> Administration should show your current log on handle, and the rights that go along with it. For SMP you need to have FULL administrative rights for your account, AND you need to be currently signed in to that account name, when you try to install it.

Download the smp zip package, and put it in the directory you want, but NOT the same as another FAH client. Unzip it, and run the "install.bat" file. Your current directory (where you are now), should be the same directory as the "install.bat", file.

You must say "Y" or "Yes" to big packets, if you want to fold SMP WU's. SMP doesn't yet officially support SMP as a service install, so decline it, for now. There are ways to do it, but they aren't always successful. Avoid the service install, for right now.

Last edited:
Back