• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Am I at full potential??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RockerGuy

Hi,
I dont know if this is the right section of the forum.

I have been trying to run my system a little faster but think I am doing something wrong, so I hope some1 can give me some insight.

My components are in my sig. so here is some settings I have.
E6750 -->3.32 (stock 2.66); 415x8
FSB 16xx (stock 1333)
RAMs 1245Mhz @ stock Volt.

My question now is,
1. when I try bumping up the voltage the system comes unstable. It would crash when playing a game after 15mins.
2. How do I set my FSB and RAM speed to 1:1 ??

cheers
JC

To get to 1:1, go in the bios and set the FSB to 400. Then go into memory speed and select the one that say 800. Your fSB is at 1:1 now.

Or you can leave the fSB where is at and go into the bios and select the memory speed that says DDR-830.

To get to 1:1, go in the bios and set the FSB to 400. Then go into memory speed and select the one that say 800. Your fSB is at 1:1 now.

Or you can leave the fSB where is at and go into the bios and select the memory speed that says DDR-830.

Are u saying if I leave my FSB at 415Mhz and my RAM at 830Mhz, I will be at a 1:1 ??? :)

cheers

Yes, that is what he's saying.

Memory speed is determined by the expression FSB*2*(memory multipler). Current generation of motherboards and their BIOS often hide the memory multiplier from you and just tell you the answer to the expression.

Yes, that is what he's saying.

Memory speed is determined by the expression FSB*2*(memory multipler). Current generation of motherboards and their BIOS often hide the memory multiplier from you and just tell you the answer to the expression.

Thanx. I guess I was stressing my Rams for no reason. :confused:

Thanx. I guess I was stressing my Rams for no reason. :confused:

Well your memory isn't most likely going to run at 1245Mhz as you note at stock voltages. But payback for heavy overclocking of memory isn't big and in my opinion is not worth the effort or stress on the memory. However that said you should be able to run at something near 1066 (your memory's capabilities as listed in your sig) so running above 830 is possible. For example if your board has a 5:6 multiplier you'll see 996 as a memory speed choice, try it.

Well your memory isn't most likely going to run at 1245Mhz as you note at stock voltages. But payback for heavy overclocking of memory isn't big and in my opinion is not worth the effort or stress on the memory. However that said you should be able to run at something near 1066 (your memory's capabilities as listed in your sig) so running above 830 is possible. For example if your board has a 5:6 multiplier you'll see 996 as a memory speed choice, try it.

I swear my Bios is saying 1245. Unless I was OC'ing in my sleep again!! :bday:

I havent seen the 5:6 multiplier on the board. I have looked everywhere for memory ratio but havent seen anything. The closest thing even mentioning ratio is my 8x multi. :rolleyes:

OK, I don't have a P5K so I'm looking at the manual but that should work for us.

It would appear you should have 3 memory speed choices available to you besides the "Auto" setting. What are the 3 frequencies available to you? I assume you're still running a 415 FSB?

OK, I don't have a P5K so I'm looking at the manual but that should work for us.

It would appear you should have 3 memory speed choices available to you besides the "Auto" setting. What are the 3 frequencies available to you? I assume you're still running a 415 FSB?

I am at work now :bday:
Will do when I get home. Shhhhhhh.... dont tell boss. :beer:

I havent seen the memory choices u speak about, but I can select from a few choices like a scroll down menu. Anyway, thanks for the 1:1 ratio, I dont need to mess w/ my rams. I am running w/ a 1Ghz increase now. I am sooo proud of myself, I am gonna pat myself on the back now. :p

A bit of a question for anybody who is free.

1. Why is 2 programs in windows showing my Vcore=1.39 when I set my bios voltage as 1.42??
2. How do I know when to bump up my voltage?? U cant just bump up the voltages right? it would leave an unnecessary increase in heat.

1. Why is 2 programs in windows showing my Vcore=1.39 when I set my bios voltage as 1.42??

Measurement of voltages (or temperatures) are typically inaccurate unless you're using separate instruments. I tend to use the voltage readings as a relative number, not an absolute value. How much did I change it? And watch the temperatures that are produced (typically these are good within a degree or two). You should realize that two different programs can produce different results because while they probably take the same reading from the motherboard but process it through different software -- not surprising you see different numbers.

2. How do I know when to bump up my voltage?? U cant just bump up the voltages right? it would leave an unnecessary increase in heat.

If I'm not pushing things to the max, I don't view a slight increase in voltage as a big deal --- again I look at the change in temperatures.

Typically increasing the voltage occurs to when you've overclocked and no longer have a stable machine. Voltage will restabilize things. The overclocking sequence would go
- increase FSB
- test for stability
- if unstable, increase voltage
- if stable, increase FSB and continue the process

Measurement of voltages (or temperatures) are typically inaccurate unless you're using separate instruments. I tend to use the voltage readings as a relative number, not an absolute value. How much did I change it? And watch the temperatures that are produced (typically these are good within a degree or two). You should realize that two different programs can produce different results because while they probably take the same reading from the motherboard but process it through different software -- not surprising you see different numbers.

If I'm not pushing things to the max, I don't view a slight increase in voltage as a big deal --- again I look at the change in temperatures.

Typically increasing the voltage occurs to when you've overclocked and no longer have a stable machine. Voltage will restabilize things. The overclocking sequence would go
- increase FSB
- test for stability
- if unstable, increase voltage
- if stable, increase FSB and continue the process

Thanks buddy I owe u virtual beers :beer: Another question:
How would I know when to stop increasing the FSB before I start corrupting my hard drive. I remember back in the days when I OC my P III I would start losing corrrupting windows when I increase the FSB too much.

How would I know when to stop increasing the FSB before I start corrupting my hard drive. I remember back in the days when I OC my P III I would start losing corrrupting windows when I increase the FSB too much.

Really isn't a problem these days. I'm not sure if they actually have a separate clock (in the Southbridge) or not but whatever the case, hard drives aren't a problem for overclocking like they were back in the "old days" .....which really wasn't that long ago.

When you stop overclocking can be dependent on a number of different factors such as
-stability and the temperatures your CPU experiences for the voltages you're using,
-motherboards can be limited by their max FSB (it can be different for each board)
-CPU can be limited by the max FSB that they'll operate with (again it can be different for each cpu)
-I'm sure that isn't a complete list

Last edited:
Back