• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead hard drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
The hard drive in my mini server (st360020a) just randomly died. I can not find the cause but it made odd noises and the a few strange clicks and it shut down. the rig wont power on with the molex cable in the drive. I examined the PCB and no traces are burnt or shorted. I am wondering if maybe replacing the circuit board could fix the drive (i really just want the data) or is the platter probably damaged from the head scraping on it or something? (which might have happened? I'm guessing its possible.)
Thanks,
Ben

Whatcha mean rig won't power on with the molex plugged in? No BIOS or POST or anything?

it shorts. When you have a short, the fuse in the PSU trips and the system looses power. so no post, no nothing. I found a fairly recent backup so its not as big a deal as I thought but I'm still wondering if there is a possible fix.

Back