• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alan Wake Vista Exclusive and for 360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redrumy3

AlanWake1PCGames0507.jpg

Seems Like Alan Wake is Vista only and they are not sure on dx10 support yet

Woot Quad Core Comes in handy for this game at least :D
4) PCGH: Does the engine profit from CPUs with four or even eight core? If yes what is the expected performance gain resulting from four or more cores?
Markus Maki, Remedy: Alan Wake currently runs faster and smoother on quad core systems than on dual core. Depending on the gameplay situation, the performance gain can be about 30%. We haven't looked at leveraging 8 cores to the max yet.

8) PCGH: Will Alan Wake as announced be a Vista-Only-Title? Will there be any chance for players with Win XP to play the game?
Markus Maki, Remedy: It is best to consider Alan Wake to be a Vista exclusive game.

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?article_id=629024

Even if it does look pretty, still not sure if I want to make the jump to vista yet, at least not until i get a decent quad core computer.

Intresting... Surely I'll try it out and of course a nicely OC'ed Dual Core surely will make it perform nicely as well... Hopefully :)

Even if it does look pretty, still not sure if I want to make the jump to vista yet, at least not until i get a decent quad core computer.

Umm... You do realize that you can dual boot Vista and XP right? So there's no "jump" required.

Umm... You do realize that you can dual boot Vista and XP right? So there's no "jump" required.

Thats what I'll be doing once I get un-lazy. Dual boot XP64 and Vista ultimate for the dx10 games that actually are worth playing. Alan Wake definitely looks like one of those games.

Yep I just have a 2nd drive that has vista on it. I just wanted to see what was up with dx10 then i was like Oh. Then booted back to xp :D

Yep I just have a 2nd drive that has vista on it. I just wanted to see what was up with dx10 then i was like Oh. Then booted back to xp :D

Me too. And now I can't make the stupid thing stop defaulting to wanting to boot Vista when I power it on. Grr.

Just change the boot order in the bios! Change it back to your first harddrive, the one with xp, not the one with vista.

I did. Vista messed with my boot.ini on the XP drive. Annoying. Anyway, I'll make a post about that elsewhere, not trying to jack here.

I did. Vista messed with my boot.ini on the XP drive. Annoying. Anyway, I'll make a post about that elsewhere, not trying to jack here.

I bought a 3-way switch, and connected it to the power cables to my two drives. Whenever I need to boot with Vista, I just flip the switch and turn on the computer. Both XP and Vista were installed seperately, and I pretty much ghetto manage which drive is used when pc boots. In my case, I wanted to be completely sure there was no overlap when doing testing, and this worked out to be the quickest solution. In rare case the BIOS will complain about drive order when POSTing. This to me is a less of a nuisance than worrying that one OS would screw with the other. One downside could be that there is no file access between the two drives, but in my particular case, that was the goal.

I have went back to xp after i found gears of war was messing up my install of vista, sad when a game for windows game causes such an issue. tbh im waiting for sp1 to see if vista gets better and the whole games just for vista plain sucks

Dual booting for one game though?

Not really worth it.

Ok. How about dual-booting for ALL dx10 games? You act like this is the only DX10 game to ever come out :p

What about Crysis? World in Conflict? F'N Call of Juarez? (I think even DiRT had a DX10 mode.)

Well, DX10 requires Vista. Looks like I'll be moving to Linux sooner than I thought :p

Honestly, I had written this title off as Vapourware a while ago. Good to see it might still see the light of day.

I'll have to get an Xbox 360

If Microsoft just released an XP like version of Vista with DX 10 but without all the dumb new features nobody cares for, people would at least be content. I have two 320GB hard drives with all my stuff on them and I have a separate OS partition on each drive to boot to either XP or Vista using the motherboard's boot priority menu. Works well enough and I don't have to worry about install a boot menu in the MBR.

Its not losing XP I don't like, its the running out and buying an entire OS for one game since everything else I have/want to get currently runs in xp. Ill get Vista when/ if companies start releasing vista only programs.

Back