• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Browser Issues. I'm so lost.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

secretweapon

Recently one of my computers started having trouble with Web browsers (IE and Firefox)not being able to connect to webpages. MSN etc still works fine. I have to turn router off/on before the browsers would work properly. Release and renew sometime works.

I tried connecting it without the router and it works fine. Tried to switch the port this computer is connected to and still no luck. All other computers and printers works great on any of the ports on the router.

Tried to repair tcp/ip settings. Reinstalling IE. No luck. I'm at a loss which wrong with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to guess that you are using xp sp2.

It's not your nic or your router. If it was then MSN wouldn't work. You actually aren't having a browser issue either. It's most likely that winsock or tcp/ip is damaged (which will soon become corrupt).

One thing you may want to try (just to confirm it's not a browser issue) is to right click on start, choose explore, make sure that in the view option at the top under toolbars there is a check in address bar. In this address bar see if you can type in a URL and browse to a webpage. You should be able to, but I'm guessing if your browser isn't pulling up a page, then neither will this.

You might want to try this first (it's going to be the quickest and is a pretty common fix).
click on start, run, type in (no quotes) "netsh winsock reset" and click ok, reboot. See how it works.

If that doesn't work then uninstall/reinstall your tcp/ip stack. There are instructions here about halfway down. Be really careful if you have to go this route... you can REALLY mess stuff up if you don't follow the instructions exactly.

Back