• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

17 BILLION Dollars

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
http://us.i1.yimg.com/videogames.yahoo.com/feature/video-game-sales-break-records/1181404

Video game industry: $17 Billion in 2007
Movie Box Office: $9 Billion in 2007

I need a new line of work. I often joke about how I don't actually work for Sony, but maybe I *SHOULD* work for Sony. Maybe I can save them from lackluster and ill-conceived story idea. Tired, worn-out, and lame-*** cliches. I already have an idea that would make them millions: Turning old detective movies into PSN games.

You know whats sad? How much of that 17 billion is lonely house wives paying 20 dollars for Zuma and Bejeweled?

they should give me a call, then they wouldnt be so lonely and i'd be a few billion richer

Maybe I'd play a Maltese Falcon game but probably not a Perry Mason or Matlock one ;) I actually sort of liked the old Sherlock Holmes ones I had on the TG16 and Genesis CD.

Movie box office doesn't include rentals, DVD sales, hi-def sales, network licensing, pay per view, in-flight licensing, etc...

;)

--Illah

More surprising is that 5 million poor saps got duped into paying $60 or more for Halo 3. Someone should have told them that it's the same game as Halo 2.

More surprising is that 5 million poor saps got duped into paying $60 or more for Halo 3. Someone should have told them that it's the same game as Halo 2.

Well count me as a sap then but IMO Halo 3 is better than Halo 2. Actually I'm finding it on par of Halo 1, maybe a little better due to I think its slightly harder than the original.

If someone told me this I would say they are completely wrong. Halo 3 is much better than 2. The Assault Rifle alone brings it back to Halo 1 standards. The addition of all of the new stuff just makes it even better.

If someone told me this I would say they are completely wrong. Halo 3 is much better than 2. The Assault Rifle alone brings it back to Halo 1 standards. The addition of all of the new stuff just makes it even better.

I love the turrets.. That rocks :) First thing I do when I see a turret I go straight for it, and rip it off the mounting. Hehe.

Well count me as a sap then but IMO Halo 3 is better than Halo 2. Actually I'm finding it on par of Halo 1, maybe a little better due to I think its slightly harder than the original.

Ok ok I was a little harsh on halo 3 :D The single player in Halo 3 was easily the best of the 3 (or at least on par with Halo 1). The multiplayer just felt exactly the same as 2. That's not to say it's bad, in fact Halo 2 was probably one of the best online console games of the time. But, a lot has been done since then in the area of online FPS gaming. I was just expecting more out of the online portion of the game after playing games like Gears of War and Rainbow Six and having a great time. I bought Halo 3 used about 5 days after it came out from Gamestop. I beat it like 3 days later and played through the online stuff for about 4 or 5 hours. I returned it after about 5 days. I just didn't feel it was worth my $55.

But 2007 was also the year of...

Gears of War
Halo 3
WoW: The Burning Crusade (This alone is ~8 million copies of a single expansion pack)
Mario Galaxy

Etc.

You could say the movie industry is bigger, if you counted that people had to buy DVD players and things like that to be able to watch movies.

But, all I can say is, I'm pretty happy in some of the choices I've made in my education.

There is, it kinda puts in perspective how the game industry is eclipsing the movie industry.

I spend $30 when i go to the movies, why spend that much when I could pay a little bit more for CoD 4 and play that for hours on end?

My point is that movies aren't always going to be the top-dog. I still think good movies will make a LOT of money, but people play games now.

Theatre ticket sales have been declining like crazy since Home Theatres started becoming mainstream. That's where all this IMAX 3D stuff is coming from. They are trying to get more people into theatres for a "new" experience. And as Ilah says... that figure probably doesn't count all the other sales tied to movies. And yes gaming is getting bigger all the time. We all know that :beer:

well if they came out with a halo movie they could presell tickets and they could make a 100 million before the movie came out

Honestly, I would really really enjoy a Gears of War movie or Bioshock movie that were done well. I think the stories could be much more personal and detailed and the premise is already amazing. I'm an idealist who loves heros :).

Your point being?

Im not insulting women or the people that play games like Zuma or Bejeweled. There was a great story awhile back though about how those types of games are ruining the gaming industry as all these programmers are deciding ... why waste 1 year to make a 60 dollar game when we can get 20 bucks for a weeks work?

So we lose out on the high end. I like those games too.. .the fact that they charge for them is ridiculous though. They are glorified flash games, and thats it.

I will play them but will NEVER pay for them :) Very few games are worth money IMHO. Neverwinter Nights... COD, AOE... sim city series up until the latest I wont buy it.. its childish...yah im one person that feels this way.. .there are a bunch though... and I guess that is what the story was about..

EDIT: If someone know s the story and could provide a link..its much appreciated :)

There is, it kinda puts in perspective how the game industry is eclipsing the movie industry.

I spend $30 when i go to the movies, why spend that much when I could pay a little bit more for CoD 4 and play that for hours on end?

My point is that movies aren't always going to be the top-dog. I still think good movies will make a LOT of money, but people play games now.

My thoughts exactly, especially the fact that most games provide at least 15 to 20 hours of gameplay. That and after a bit of money invested in a nice HDTV and a sound system, renting online or at the store is so much easier, much cheaper and way more comfortable than going to the theatre. I think that new Batman movie and maybe Rambo may the 2 movies I actually see in the theatre all year. $10+ just for a ticket is really steep.

RE: OLd Games

Maybe I'd play a Maltese Falcon game but probably not a Perry Mason or Matlock one ;) I actually sort of liked the old Sherlock Holmes ones I had on the TG16 and Genesis CD.

You mean Sherlock Homes: Consulting Detective?

I'm personally into anything 3DO and Sega Genesis /32x/Sega CD.

I recently even picked up an xeye

You mean Sherlock Homes: Consulting Detective?

I'm personally into anything 3DO and Sega Genesis /32x/Sega CD.

I recently even picked up an xeye

I had an Xeye once. It wasn't built as durable as my original stackable Genesis, CD and 32x, plus the 32x doesn't work with it. I bought it used and the CD unit stopped working soon after I got it so I figured whoever sold it knew it was going out. I tossed it even though it still played cartridges fine.

Back