• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's the optimal Mhz for my E6420?? pics inside**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nero1943

Registered
i'm looking at my CPU-Z current it's at stock 160x.xMhz sometimes it jumps to 213x.xMhz. Why is is this? I o/c to 400mhz x 8 mutiplier before and it was runnig 3.21 fine. My current temp is roughly low 20s during normal operation.

cpu2.jpg
cpu3.jpg
cpu.jpg
fan003.jpg

also, someone mentioned about setting the ram to 1:1 ratio. Which will be easier to o/c the CPU. sorry i am pretty new to this o/c thing. I don't see any setting in the bios on the RAM. Just the 800mhz ~ 13xxmhz?

also, someone mentioned about setting the ram to 1:1 ratio. Which will be easier to o/c the CPU. sorry i am pretty new to this o/c thing. I don't see any setting in the bios on the RAM. Just the 800mhz ~ 13xxmhz?

If you are at 400mhz FSB you'll want the DDR2 800 setting. That'll be a 1:1 ratio. (EDIT: On the P5B series it is the slowest option. At 266mhz FSB it'll be DDR2 533)

As to why the clock speed changes you'll need to disable the power saving features on your mobo. On the ASUS P5B series it is called C1E and speedstep. If you disable those two you should be fine. I turn them back on once I find my max stable but turn them off while I am working towards it.

As far as the best OC you can hope for...

If you can hit 450mhz FSB (that would be DDR2 900 which is a mild ram OC, but not always attainable depending on your chips) that'll give you 3.6ghz. Depending on your cooling you should be able to get your CPU that high.

Reference this thread for some optimal settings on the P5B series mobos:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=496802

I used it early on and it helped out a lot. Your mobo should be capable of 450mhz FSB fairly easily. Above that is a bit of luck of the draw.

Good luck.

hello and thanks for the reply. I am currently disabled the C1E and set to 400. I disabled the C1E but I can't find speedstep. My RAM setting are currently at " AUTO " since if I adjust it to 800mhz it will crash.
cpu4.jpg

i raised up my ram voltage and it's 1:1 right now. DDR-800mhz. 3200mhz on the cpu. Feels so much faster now heheehe

Last edited:
Lot of vcore on that chip... I never "auto" anything... Manually set your voltages.

The first thing you want to do is get that VCore down. 1.2V should be a good starting point. Then incrementally increase the FSB until it won't boot. Raise the VCore a couple of notches (.2, .3) and repeat. Of course, always watch your temps.

If you want a 1:1 ratio, it would probably be good to aim for 400*8 for a CPU speed of 3.2Ghz. If you want to go higher than 3.2 (and your cooling can handle it) Then you will need to overclock your ram as well.

Last edited:
Alright, I just lowered the Vcore temp down to 1.416v 400mhz x 8 which is running at 3200Mhz. I also disabled C1E and speedtemp in the bios according to satandole666. How about my RAM right now? it shows 1:1 in CPU-Z, It shows 400mhz. If i set in bios DDR-800mhz it will crash. So I raise up the ram voltage and it's running fine at 1.85v right now.

Current:

cpu6.jpg

try running your ram at cas5 or put some more voltage on it,

my chip is running 3.6ghz with no problems atm at a vcore of 1.5, but putting it to that vcore you should watch your temps, they shouldn't get higher then 60c

with my true full load I get 52c, so that's still well within the limits, but I don't know how that heatsink of yours fares

all I know is I can adjust the 800 then 1600, etc. How can I adjust the cas5?

Back