• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus EEE PC Wireless issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteveLord

I've searched the net and cannot find a non-idiot response to this issue...which seems to be common.

The wireless portion of this does not work half the time. You connect to a network, secure or not...and it will just hang at "Pending" forever.

Is it a flaw in the OS this uses? My wife is ready to kill me because she cant take this into the bathroom with her now! :bday:

NOTE-The wired LAN function works fine.

EDIT-Only way I can get through is having to re-create a wireless connection with my SSID and password from the start. Kind of annoying...especially if my wife is SOL when Im not around.

Last edited:
I've searched the net and cannot find a non-idiot response to this issue...which seems to be common.

The wireless portion of this does not work half the time. You connect to a network, secure or not...and it will just hang at "Pending" forever.

Is it a flaw in the OS this uses? My wife is ready to kill me because she cant take this into the bathroom with her now! :bday:

NOTE-The wired LAN function works fine.

EDIT-Only way I can get through is having to re-create a wireless connection with my SSID and password from the start. Kind of annoying...especially if my wife is SOL when Im not around.
Are you using the stock OS or XP. Might be a better driver?

I'm using the stock OS. And this problem still persists. My wife finds it very annoying that she has to bring the computer to me everytime the wireless doesn't work.

This is a common problem allover the net, with no solution that I've seen. And a serious problem at that.

Yes...

Linux is not good for wireless, especially WPA wireless...

I'd see if you could get hold of XP and slap it on.

As said above, I couldn't get my WPA to work on the stock OS. That maybe just the OS, or it could be linux in general. Windows fixed it right away for me.

EDIT: I just came across this. Give it a try!

Ok had some conversations with tech support and I have got my eee working on my WEP enabled network!

Now we made only ONE change to the usual procedure of setting up the eee for wireless.
In the box WIRELES SETTINGS there are TWO boxes which are pre set to AUTO.

Change the MODE box to INFRASTRUCTURE from AUTO. REPEAT INFRASTRUCTURE.

Seems the eee does NOT like the standard Auto setting.

My goodness you would think tjhat such a small change would be all over the Internet.

Please someone else with the same issue make that change and let us know if it works for them:)

Last edited:
I registered just so I could say thanks! I just got my eee today, and couldn't connect. As soon as I changed that setting it connected right away. I'm glad you posted that!

Still having trouble

Hi - I have spent the past two evenings trying to get the wireless to work. I made the change in Mode from AUTO to Infrastructure but still sit at pending. I have wireless through my cable company. When I called for my WEP last evening they said that it was the RF MAC address on the bottom of my wireless box minus the first two zeros (for 64 bit Hex). I don't know if this is the case or not. Unfortunately, I can find my WEP - I think the cable guy hooked everything up and I'm not sure I got it. Anyway, any more suggestions? I also have the "Key" setting next to the WEP set at 1 and the channel set at "Any". I'm about ready to return this to the store if I can't get this taken care of soon. Thanks for any help.

I had this "pending" problem all the time. If the Eee didn't connect the first time, it would have 4 attempts at getting an IP from the DCHP in my router and then just sit there saying "Pending". I tried loads of things and read all of the tips and tricks in all the various forums. I was going to install XP and put up with the slow boot time when eventually I got it sorted for my specific hardware, so this may or may not work for you and some of the things I did may have nothing to do with the fact that my Eee connects first time all of the time but just encase I've listed everything I did to get it working perfectly :

Hardware :

Eee 901 Standard Linux O/S all current updates installed
Netgear : DG834v2 Modem / Router - connected via wireless

1. I gave the Eee a Static (Fixed) IP in the router - I my case 192.168.0.6
2. Changed the Eee from DHCP assigned IP to Static IP
3. Manually entered all DNS, subnet mask, gateway info etc. - I my case 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0
4. Changed my Wireless Encryption from WPA to WEP 128 Bit - I know it is inferior but I'm not that worried

Bang. Now it works like a dream which is great because I've put up with this for months now but no more.

I hope this helps somebody else.

Eamon

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar problem but with XP ...

Are you using the stock OS or XP. Might be a better driver?
The issue I have is that when we are abroad, say in Russia, we can pick up any open wireless LAN but nothing appears on the list in the UK when there is a LAN known to be there! They just don't show up at all. For example, I have a wireless LAN in my house and use a Dell laptop with it to connect to the Internet. But the Eee PC with XP just doesn't see it or any others that we know (from the Dell) are around.
Any ideas? (IN answering please bear in mind I am an imbecile and need simple explanations! Thanks!)

I've got the EeePC-1000H with XPsp3 and my Linksys WRT54GL wireless router and it communicates fine using WAP2. Actually it has worked beautifully in every wi-fi spot I've used it in. I use it for college and frequently work with study partners in coffee shops, libraries and in various homes with wireless.

I haven't tried Linux yet, but I'll install Mint this week as a dual boot and see how it works then. First I've got to remember what my WPA2 keys are LOL.

OK, follow up snce I am still having problems with this. In an earlier version of the OS there was a problem with WiFi connections in that when the ATH0 atheros adapter connected to the WiFi access point, the DHCP request was being directed to the ETH0 adapter, which of course was the wired Ethernet cable. Under this scenario the adapter could not connect to any access point under DHCP, so the solution was to hard set an IP address...not always possible, of course. This was fixed, and the adapter will now connect to an AP which is not encrypted, with the DHCP erquest correctly going to the ATH0 adapter stream. However, when either WEP or WPA are used, the adapter will not connect. The symp[tom is that the adapter stays "Pending" forever, and if you look at the detail stream you can see that multiple DHCP requests are directed to ATH0, but no response comes back. So, here is my question for someone who knows more about the Linux WEP and WPA implemetations for the Atheros adapter stack. Is it possible that the DHCP request is being submitted in such a way that it is not correctly being encrypted when sent to the AP, or decrypted when it returns? If so, is this a matter of changing where it is submitted (e.g., ATH0x?), and either way, is there a suggestion for fixing this? Thanks.

Back