• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sell my x3210 Quad @ 3.4 for a 8400 duel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mekks

atm my xeon quad can hit 3.4 and no higher no matter what. i mostly play games and use the net. i dont think i use 1 program that will make use of my current 4x cores.

should i sell and get a 8400duel and hope to oc to 4.0+ or just keep the quad?

There's no right or wrong answer to this, and will most likely only lead to a long heated debate. At this point its all personal preference. Current games seem to do better with a higher clocked dual-core, while video editing and such take advantage of a quad-core.

It's ENTIRELY a matter of use, if you can use 4 cores, might as well keep what you have for now and wait for the new 45nm quads coming out soon.

I want an 8400 soooo bad but I know it'll actually result in a much slower computer because a lot of my applications use quadcore... and more 'n more games support quadcore.

it'll be a hard wait... but I don't really see a purpose until I get a 3870X2(waiting for a variant with better/more memory).

I'm think I'm just going to stick w/ my Xeon at 3.6 (3.8 for benches) until Nehelem. I've been on the fence, though, as well. Being stuck at 3.4 might make me want to at least try it out. You can probably get enough $ from your x3210 to pay for the e8400 w/o any $ out-of-pocket which is very tempting.

Since you use it mainly just for surfing and games that is an even bigger argument to switch.

Personally, I would like to see a new stepping 1st. These are the 1st chips using these new exotic metals. I really want to see how things play out a bit before I jump on the bandwagon.

Also, a new CoreTemp (or new MoBo BIOS's) b/c I see a lot of weird temp stuff going on w/ these chips.

Personally, I would like to see a new stepping 1st. These are the 1st chips using these new exotic metals. I really want to see how things play out a bit before I jump on the bandwagon.

Likewise. Didn't Northwoods have some issue where they suddenly started dying from too much volts?

or if you switched you could get a sub-10 second Super Pi 1M with the E8400 :beer:
Ya but can that score well over 9000 in CINEBENCH R10? :sn:

Super Pi is probably the most trivial benchmark nowadays, it does not reflect real world performance much at all anymore.

CINEBENCH is where it's at for me.

yea northwoods suffered from SNDS, when 1.55 or higher voltage was applied. they would over time lose oc and stability.

i wanna see a cinebench run of a Q9300 vs Q6600 at stock..

Back