• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Directv and MediaPortal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maddmann

Hello All,
I am new to the HTPC group and have been doing some research over the past few months. I built the following rig specifically for the HTPC:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+
Asus M2N32SLI-Deluxe Motherboard
BFG 8800 GT Oc Graphics Card
1 Western Digital 320GB SATA hard drive (more to follow in the future)
SATA DVD Burner with lightscribe
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500 MCE Dual TV Recorder Tuner Card with the IR blaster and reveiver.

I am using a LG 47" LCD as the screen. I can get everything to work except for part of the tuner card. I don't know how to incorporate the directv box with he tuner card. It will only recognize channel 4 on the HTPC but if i change the channel on the set top box the HTPC still see's it as channel 4. :confused:

Can anyone help me with this problem?

So far I really like MediaPortal but it seems like the initial setup can give you a headache, Thanks for all the help,

Maddmann

I think that I may have found the problem. The Hauppauge MCE Kit that i have has the MCE IR Reciever/Blaster. MediaPortal is not recognizing it all to control the set top box. I am thinking that it is because I am using XP Pro and not MCE Edition. Could this be the problem?

Also, am I right in believing that I need two Set top boxes in order to use both of the tuners on the capture card?

I think that I may have found the problem. The Hauppauge MCE Kit that i have has the MCE IR Reciever/Blaster. MediaPortal is not recognizing it all to control the set top box. I am thinking that it is because I am using XP Pro and not MCE Edition. Could this be the problem?

Also, am I right in believing that I need two Set top boxes in order to use both of the tuners on the capture card?

xp pro and Mce edition diffs have nothing to do with mediaportal.

and yes you would need 2 settop boxes to recorde / watch .

I don't use MediaPortal, but it seems like it's MP that doesn't support the IR method that you are using! I use BeyondTV, and I know it has no problem w/ PVR500 (which is what I've been using for SD channels) and IRBlaster or USBUIRT.

afaik, the USBUIRT (which is what I'm using) could be set up different "zone" to control more than 1 set top box! (I think it's up to 4) I did look at it a little before, but decide it's too much work (need to make custom zone setting and hack and etc.). so I went to get a usb to serial adapter that was designed to work w/ the STB. (you can find that thread over at BTV's support forum) and it works fine and the best thing is it response a lot faster than the USBUIRT and no need for line of sight!

Back