• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to 6400+ or Phenom?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bonefish5

Registered
Just looking for suggestions. Running a crosshair w/4 gig ram and 64bit vista ultimate. I want to upgrade my cpu.

Any suggestions?

specs

Armor tower (4 exhaust fans cooling)
crosshair MB
7900GTO (x2) upgrade due liguid cooled
4gig ddr2 800 mem
5200+ air cooled Scythe duel fans
(4x) 250gig sata 3.0 HD (raid)
creative x-fi soundZalman fan controller
using if for some gaming, a lot of photo editing, corel draw and illustrator vector image editing, etc.

is the 5200 OC'd?

Personally, i'd say hold off upgrading that PC for now. With so much stuff coming out in march, if you can wait another 2~3 months of so, most of everything new will be out.

is the 5200 OC'd?

Personally, i'd say hold off upgrading that PC for now. With so much stuff coming out in march, if you can wait another 2~3 months of so, most of everything new will be out.

I would like to avoid a total overhaul if possible, but I suppose a bottlenecked pc is a bad thing also.

if your doing a lot of heavy editing i could see where the quad core would work well. I know someone here is selling one for around a 165 bucks so if u want u could save ur self a few bucks and buy that.

I would try to OC your 5200+ for now and see how that goes.

If you do not want a complete system upgrade, i'd say just wait for a newer stepping phenom.

...If you want an upgrade right this instant, then i'd lean towards a 9600+ BE.

go quad core man , nothing else coming out for a while will beat that.

Thats an awesome mobo btw

on the other hand what dual core is not enough power for what most people do ?

A 9500 or 9600 will give a boost over a stock 5200. If your apps will run quad then the boost will be great otherwise it will be only slight. 2 cores of a Phenom 9500 stock run about the speed of a 2.8G to 3.1G Windsor. For some games you will only notice some difference but some of your tools might see the cores and run with them.

phenom>

Asus doesn't list the Phenom as supported by the Crosshair. Has anyone tried this before? Does it work?

The Crosshair stated mem support is only ddr2-800. Anyone know if a bios update makes it possible to go higher?

Going to spend more time overloading the 5200 tonight and see what I can get out of it melt it...which ever comes first.

Phenom bios support is still a bit shaky from Asus. I would go 6400+ for $165 or so and then upgrade again when you can get B3 stepping-- sometime later this year.

In that case you may also consider a 5000BE if you like the overclock challenge. They do 3.0 Easy most do 3.2 or higher. For under $100 it may be a good temporary chip or for about $50 more get the 6400.

Get the 6400+ and another 4Gb of RAM rather than slapping a Phenom in a non-AM2+ board...

Go with the 5000 be and you can OC it easily w/ aircooling past 3.2GHZ. You might have a bit of a smaller cache when compared to the 6400 but you'd be saving money.

If you do not want a complete system upgrade, i'd say just wait for a newer stepping phenom.

...If you want an upgrade right this instant, then i'd lean towards a 9600+ BE.

agree,
TS how far u overclock ur current CPU?
if u patient enough, ur dual still have juice to squezze left :)

overclock ur cpu to 3.0ghz and wait till newer n overclocker Phenom ;)

Go back to XP from Vista and immeidately gain a 10% boost :)
Will need some tweaks to use all 4GB ram tho...

One question, does the crosshair utilize the HT3.0 and the AM+ architecture fully?

On the other hand check to see if the software (and their versions) you are using make use of multi-core (more than 2) CPUs.

Also IMHO, instead of setting up for liquid cooled 2x 7900GTO, why not sell those GTO's and get a 8800GT for about the same $ (and performace), since the only gaming reason to run Vista is DirectX 10 (and 10.1)?

BTW, nice RAID setup! :drool: (I assume it's RAID 5 and SATA 2)

One question, does the crosshair utilize the HT3.0 and the AM+ architecture fully?

No, Crosshair is not an AM2+ board. That said, it's nforce 590 so it'll still be a fine board for either the 6400+ or the 5000+

edit: let me clarify that crosshair will support chips such as Phenom will a bios update.

Last edited:
If thats an F3 revision 5200, I would just overclock it. You should be able to easily reach the 3.2Ghz that a 6400+ runs at.

I would go for a Phenom when the "fixed" B3 chips come out in like April, price drops from Intel will probably force AMD to counter as well.

If thats an F3 revision 5200, I would just overclock it. You should be able to easily reach the 3.2Ghz that a 6400+ runs at.

I would go for a Phenom when the "fixed" B3 chips come out in like April, price drops from Intel will probably force AMD to counter as well.

I currently have a BE5000 running 3.2 24/7 under a freezone cpu cooler on lowest speed. All is good.

I am considering a OEM 9500 B2 for $155 ca shipped or a 9600 at $170ca shipped. Question are either of these worth it at this time over my 5000, or should I just wait for the B3.

I ask this because after downgrading from a xeopn x3210 quad at 3.4ghz to the 5000 I see a diff when I attempt to do some things which were possible on the intel quad such as game and burn a dvd and streamripping music. Now I am not doing this all the time but will a phenom handle this type of multi tasking very well. I figure I can flog my 5000 and pay some extra cash and get the 9500 as the cheapest quad AMD solution for my Biostar A2+ 770 board. But is it worth it or will I regret it , I am thinking since the multi is looked I will not get more than 2.5-2.6 out of either chip and that is not a gimme either.

If I am lucky getting 2.5 would I be looking at equivalent speed to the BE5000 at 3-3.2ghz or should I just hold off. I have not been following whats happening at all but the prices I found from a seller seem decent....

Back