• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

COD4 and a quad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonspd

Super Speedy Senior
Just wondering who if anyone is running COD4 on a quad core cpu.

questions

1. do you fold? if so do you fold and run COD4? which cores on what?

2. are you able to run the game on 1 core of you quad and it play ok?

3. Do you use all 4 core to make it play ok?

any answers would be great.

just installed my quad and played cod4, but i always turn off f@h SMP when i game anyways, just incase.

but i shall try it with f@h on and see if it does anything, as i know f@h doesnt always just sit to the site and let the cycles go (it doesnt play nice with MySQL db's that i do know for sure)

if you don't mind could you try 2 combos for me and tell me the results...

1. cod4 using 2 core and fah smp 4 cores using 2 cores

2. cod4 using 1 core and fah smp 4 cores using 3 cores

I am folding on an E6600 and leave SMP running while playing COD4 sometimes. I have not noticed any real slowdowns in the game. I know that F@H probably takes a pretty good hit from it, but it does continue to progress and does so without hurting my game play.

thats what I wanted to hear....

thanks any other inputs with quad fellas?

As you may know I run two Ubuntu64 VM's with an SMP client in each of them.

I have the affinity set to 0+1 and 2+3 on each instance of the VM and leave them running while I game. I also set the priority of them to low, that way whenever I need more processing power, it's always there for me :)

If you've considered switching I highly recommend it. I have no issues, in fact right now I'm converting 4 videos for my iPod and folding and I didn't have to touch a single setting, everything is running smoothly.

Not to mention, I'm getting over 4k PPD from my quad right now ;)

I haven't had any experience with the Windows SMP client, but if you need help setting up some VM's feel free to message me ;)

Good luck!

Just wondering who if anyone is running COD4 on a quad core cpu.

questions

1. do you fold? if so do you fold and run COD4? which cores on what?

2. are you able to run the game on 1 core of you quad and it play ok?

3. Do you use all 4 core to make it play ok?

any answers would be great.
I'm running quad and I don't fold though. but COD4 runs like a champ on steroids LOL.

As you may know I run two Ubuntu64 VM's with an SMP client in each of them.

I have the affinity set to 0+1 and 2+3 on each instance of the VM and leave them running while I game. I also set the priority of them to low, that way whenever I need more processing power, it's always there for me :)

If you've considered switching I highly recommend it. I have no issues, in fact right now I'm converting 4 videos for my iPod and folding and I didn't have to touch a single setting, everything is running smoothly.

Not to mention, I'm getting over 4k PPD from my quad right now ;)

I haven't had any experience with the Windows SMP client, but if you need help setting up some VM's feel free to message me ;)

Good luck!

I ran the vmwares but atm prefer to just run the windows smp till they get the bugs out of these new amd quads.....

thanks for the info.

I'm running quad and I don't fold though. but COD4 runs like a champ on steroids LOL.

I would hope that it would using all 4 cores :D

my main question is 1 core of a quad ok for gaming COD4? if not 1 then how about 2?

I ran the vmwares but atm prefer to just run the windows smp till they get the bugs out of these new amd quads.....

thanks for the info.

I would hope that it would using all 4 cores :D

my main question is 1 core of a quad ok for gaming COD4? if not 1 then how about 2?
I'm not sure and I don't think I'm using all 4 of my quads because I have windows xp home and not pro.

I think one core is just fine.
Its not really a CPU intensive game.
I play it on max settings at the rez in my signature on a single core system, 3.4 and it runs grrrreat.
70-90fps

one core should be fine i have a 3400+ at 2750(939) and a 3870 i run fine every thing set to high and i know one of the new quads cores would smoke my 939

I'm not sure and I don't think I'm using all 4 of my quads because I have windows xp home and not pro.

i dont think there is a difference in home and pro in this regard. if home sees 4 cores, then you can use 4 cores. its a software limitation not an OS limitation as to how many cores get utilized. if the software is not written to be multithreaded, then it will not get utilized to its fullest potential.

i dont think there is a difference in home and pro in this regard. if home sees 4 cores, then you can use 4 cores. its a software limitation not an OS limitation as to how many cores get utilized. if the software is not written to be multithreaded, then it will not get utilized to its fullest potential.
You bring up a very good point and it does see all 4.

I run f@h non threaded version on my rig - the now wet and dead 3870 and i get no ill effect even using my 7600gt stop gap card

wet and dead please say it aint so i love my 3870 to death can't imagine just getting it and killing it hope you can get it replace thru waranty

Not gonna rma i killed it, and ill deal with the consequences :0( put my wc setup on ebay to pay for new card

Hey there Jon.

I run just the single core, GUI F@H client on my computer. At 3.6, its not complete stable and any 100% on a core causes the PC to shutdown (see below). But When I run COD4, I assign 2 cores to F@H, and leave the other two free to run COD4 and background tasks. I run COD maxed out on my 22" 226BW with NO lag man. F@H doesn't seem to take a hit either.

As a side note, hopefully, I can get a Q9450 here in about a month or so to replace this heat behemoth B3 Engineering Sample. I don't even think a phase chase could keep this thing sufficiently cool. At 3.6 and 1.48v, it IDLES at ~60C!! Computer is completely stable as long as I don't load one core 100%. Super Pi 32M stable, memtest stable, COD4, BF2, BF2142, CS:S, Hero Online, Madden 2007, looped 3D Mark stable, just not Prime95 stable lol.

lol I think I had a es like that once :D

thanks for the info fellas...

Not gonna rma i killed it, and ill deal with the consequences :0( put my wc setup on ebay to pay for new card

and thats how it should be done :D

sry to hear that however...

Back